How to secure asbestos duct wrap

Old 09-16-19, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to secure asbestos duct wrap

An old part of my basement has what I believe to be asbestos wrapping around the ducting. We hardly ever go into this room. There are parts of the wrapping that are hanging down and coming off of the ducts. I'm afraid my kids are going to tug or rip the hanging parts. What is the best way to re-secure this wrap? I haven't actually touched the stuff, but I don't think tape will stick to it. Maybe wire?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-19, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
Once it gets to that state..... it should be removed by an expert.
There is really no way to refasten it without discharging fibers and dust into the room.

Old 09-17-19, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't play and risk in such a situation. Especially if the kids are going to enter that part of the basement.

Exposure to released asbestos fibres can lead to serious and fatal consequences. - source
I would suggest to completely block the entrance to that area and plan removal of compromised parts by professionals as soon as possible.

Old 09-17-19, 05:07 AM
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Asbestos isnít dangerous until itís disturbed and can get airborne. If yours is falling off the duct, itís already discharging fibers that can be inhaled. It should be removed by a remediation company immediately.
For now, seal off the room with plastic sheeting and tape. So airborne asbestos cannot get out and contaminate the rest of the house.

Old 09-19-19, 03:37 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That duct work would have to be very old to have asbestos wrapping for insulation. Before you get concerned about it's dangers, I would have an expert determine if it is actually asbestos. Also, some of the newer fiberglass insulation were almost as dangerous as the asbestos so use care and a specified breathing filter/mask when handling them.