Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Outdoor Rheem Package unit furnace not working in COLD COLD weather properly

Old 11-12-19, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Deep breath, this will be a long one, but I will try to be detailed.

Short Problem: Rheem GAS FURNACE outdoor package unit (1.5 ton i believe) will stop working (goes into lockoutmode) during the nighttime when temps get sub 20*F. The error is 1 flash indicating unable to sense flame. The flame sensor is brand new.

Problem in greater detail: What the issue appears to be is igniting the gas when it comes through (I have recently cleaned and polished the igniter fork looking thing). I will hear the unit kick on, and it'll will make the buzz as it is trying to ignite the gas (you can smell the gas) but nothing happens, it will do this 2 more times and shut off, and go into lockout mode for obvious reason. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN IT IS BELOW FREEZING OUTSIDE. . When this does happen, the thermostat will say "heat" (wattsaver honeywell), but the outdoor panel has the error light flashing (I thought it would say "wait" during lockout mode, odd). Anyways, during 40s and 50s here in Kansas when you just need a little heat to keep it at 68-71, works fine, like a champ. The cold is the key culprit here, or is completely coincidental.

History on Repairs: Last year we did have the exhaust replaced as it went bad. Prior to having that replaced, tech said the return air was running too hot, causing it to burn up the internals in the furnace, he adjusted the gas level or something of that sort to buy us some time until our warranty kicked in 15 days later, which it did. It bought us enough time. Though after he made that adjustment, it never heated "as strong or as hot" as it did before I feel.

Most recent repair: Tech who came out to take a look at it and couldn't find anything wrong (50*F) day, said the gas valve "may" be freezing up due to moisture in the line into the gas valve, thus keeping it from opening the valve. He told me to give it a little knock with a rubber mallet or my fist when it calls for gas to see if that helps. It helped once, but not consistently. I found that simply resetting the breaker to get it out of lockout mode makes it fire up the first time, each time I reset it. I found myself up last night every 2 hours to reset it so my newborn isn't in the cold.

Questions: Is it possible that the previous tech who turned down the gas made it too cold in the outdoor unit (based on the return air) making the internals freeze up? Is the gas valve bad and I just need to get a new one? Does it sound like an electrical issue? (Have no tried a new thermostat).

I'm rather technically inclined and can follow directions well. I'm not above paying someone for remote help either, lol I'm being serious.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-19, 10:58 AM
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
The gas pressure should not be turned below the level indicated on the name plate, likely at 3.5” if it’s natural gas.
With you problem, the burner should be cleaned and gas pressure checked with a manometer. Incoming line pressure may drop during high demand when it’s cold out, creating a condition in which the burner will not light.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 11-13-19, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I ended up being able to get on the books for today with a technician, something about having a baby speeds things up lol. They are replacing the gas valve, would that be a likely fix? Something about the gas valve is probably opening slow in the cold, old worn down model.

Old 11-13-19, 12:22 PM
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
Possibly, but gas valves don’t fail to terribly often.
The old and new valve will have the same opening speed.