Honeywell s8610u issues....

Old 11-15-19, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell s8610u issues....

Good day,
Looking for some guidance had a cold front come through and upon cranking up my furnace for the first time this year my Honeywell s8610u was getting 24v but no lights ect. Bought a used unit from a reputable seller on ebay and installed it this week. set thermostat and everything fired up and seemed to be fine then i noticed that the module is cycling on for 3 min/ off 5 sec/ then on 3min until T is satisfied.
1.T call for heat
2.module power on
3.clunk the gas valve get power (mv/pv-pv) 24v
4.pilot lights
5.click the valve "open" (mv-mv/pv) 24v (Problem 1 50% of time i dont hear a click and don't get 24v for gas valve function)
6. furnace lights
7. blower comes on
8. runs until T satisfied. (Problem 2 unit cycles on 3min/off 5ec/on 3min until satisfied)

so my module is short cycling? and sometimes my gas valve doesn't get 24v to "open". the module will cycle infinite times until it gets 24v. error code 6+2. I have notice that when i manually turn on the T to heat the module is more likely to give 24v to "open" valve. almost always once the system finishes its cycle then 15 min go by and the T automatically calls for heat the module not likely to send power to "open" gas valve. the module sends power to gas 100% of time.
would this be a T issue(ritetemp 6010), module issue (honeywell s8610u), or a sensor? i checked all my connections and grounds. I don't think its related but going to get a new T on my way home to rule this out. everything is wired the same.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-19, 11:12 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
you need to see if the module is getting consistent power -> i think between TH and TH-gnd.

if it is, it's the module or a flame sensing issue and further testing is required.

It's not a good idea to buy used parts.

Old 11-16-19, 04:39 PM
So after doing some research last night it seems the inconsistent lighting was due to a dirty thermocouple. Tho not terribly dirty I shined up with some scotch Brite and it seems to be running well no issues today (per the wife I'm working this weekend). Still having the intermediate running tho. On 3 min/ off 5 sec ect until T is satisfied. I opened all my vents 100% no change. Maybe run some tonight without my filters to see if too much restriction. I'm running the cut to fit washable fiber filters... Will check the voltage as mentioned when I get off.... Is there a way to measure across sensor to see if tripping? I saw where someone said to detach sensor away from heat source to rule out between the two🤷*♂️ but then others say not to. I get constant 28v between 24v(ground) ~ TH-W until module shuts off if this is what your asking? When it cycles it's a complete cycle start to finish blower stays running but module shuts completely down then T kicks it back on.

Old 11-16-19, 06:47 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
There is a flame sensor (no thermocouple) and you can check signal by wiring your meter in series with it and setting it to DC microamps.

If your module is losing power the instant the flames go out, the problem is upstream.

I have the manual for the module open and yes, it's TH-W and 24V GND you should be checking between.

I don't know what model furnace this is. Mid and high efficiency furnaces have at least one pressure switch that can open during the cycle if there's a borderline draft.

A cycling high limit can also cause the burners to shut off but it normally takes more than 3 minutes for the furnace to overheat.

Have you tried bypassing the stat to rule it and the wiring out?

What problem were you originally attempting to solve by changing the module?

Old 12-04-19, 03:31 PM
[left]
So now holidays are done and I got back to troubleshooting my furnace. I cleaned the flame rod now the unit fires up 100% of time but still cycling. I by passed both temp sensors on the unit and it is still cycling. Have yet to get new thermostat but don't think that's the issue. Still gotta send 24v straight to rule it out. After by passing all the sensors I realized the problem is the fan limit is turning everything off. Black plastic rectangular with a metal dial
Pins set at 100,175,200. Can't figure out how to send pics from my phone

Old 12-04-19, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 421 Votes on 394 Posts
It's not always easy to send pics from a phone. Try following this..... How-to-insert-pictures.

We know what you have. It's an older style fan/limit switch. I labeled my picture below. As the furnace heats up..... that metal disc turns and hits the "fan on" temperature setting. The metal disc should stop turning as the fan starts running. If it keeps turning and hits the "limit" setting...... you have an airflow issue.

My picture..... not the members control.
Name:  fl.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  43.3 KB