Royal Jet "Jet Junior" 1960's wall heater problems

Old 11-16-19, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Royal Jet "Jet Junior" 1960's wall heater problems

Home built in 1965 has 2 Royal Jet "Jet Junior" Gravity vented recessed Nat gas wall heaters 1 has not given problems since purchasing home, but 1 in hallway quit working cple yrs past, decided it was time to give it another shot so cleaned crossover out by soaking in alcohol some residue filtered out but not a lot. Thermocoupling and controller were changed out by licensed handyman several years back, but since we cannot find any info on this manufacturer not sure if it was the correct parts. Both Pilots will light up for a bit then you hear a sound like boom and a ball of flame shoots out and up about a foot from lower vent in front of heater. Please can anyone steer me in the right direction to try and fix Heater or find more info on them.I cannot afford new one right now trying to replace roof.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-19, 04:18 PM
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Hi, not familiar with that unit but it sounds like a possible venting problem, flue pipe, ventor motor.
Geo

Old 11-17-19, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Votes on 237 Posts
I don't know what a "licensed handyman" is but I might get a licensed heating & air person to look at the furnace.

Old 11-17-19, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
I agree with Dane. Actually you may need to locate an old plumber. Although that is a very basic system.... most HVAC techs will not know enough to help you. You may try your gas provider. Explain to them that it is an older heater. They may have a more senior tech available.

It is definitely not a DIY project.