TRANE XE80 5 blink status code

Old 12-05-19, 01:06 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
TRANE XE80 5 blink status code

Installed in 1996, this 2.5 ton unit will blow air continuously. If unplugged, it will reset and work normally with gas heat coming on as expected. But 1 out of 5 times it will keep the fan on. Service guy says it shows 5 blinks when it is in the failure mode. "Sensed flame no power to gas valve." He believes it is the control board. He does not believe it is the flame sensor - says he cleaned it off and said they never go bad. He unplugged the flame sensor and gets a different error code. Do you think he is right with his diagnosis?

Old 12-05-19, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

He unplugged the flame sensor and gets a different error code.
Are you 100% sure of that ?

The flame rod is just a piece of metal rod attached to a wire. It should just be sitting there doing absolutely nothing. If disconnecting the wire off the rod itself made a difference...... the rod may be shorted to ground. That would be easy to see and be a rare problem.

The 5 flash code signifies the board is sensing a flame when there shouldn't be. The first thing I try is unplugging and plugging in the 9 pin connector on the control board. If that seems to help...... try spraying the plug on the end of the wires with some contact cleaner. Then plug it in several times. If you still have a 5 flash code..... replace the board.

Old 12-09-19, 06:51 AM
I
I will give that a try.
I did replace the flame sensor since it was only $10 ... but no difference.
If not the control board, is there any chance that it is a gas valve that is taking too long to turn off? 5 blinks is flame still on without an activation voltage, so not sure how long the control board waits to test after the valve has been deactivated.
Again, it does not occur every time. Service guy got it to happen after 6 attempts. I notice in the morning when I get up so do not know how many times it cycled overnight. And oddly it reset itself some time after I had turned the thermostat to off. I was told the fan would stay on continuously until serviced.

Old 12-10-19, 01:34 PM
I
Quick update. Connector cleaning w multiple unplug and plug ... no change.
Seems to happen early in the morning when furnace has been on for quite awhile. Once it reaches temperature and turns off at the thermostat the control board starts the 5 blinks with fan on/flame off.
Then I noticed that after about 2 hours the system reset itself - fan off and normal slow blinking - normal operation resumes.
Is it normal for an auto reset (with error cleared) after a long period of time without intervention?

Old 12-10-19, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Yes...... the board will reset itself based on time. Some are one hour and some are two hours.
Looks like we're leaning towards a board replacement.

Old 12-11-19, 11:54 AM
I
Agreed. Replacement board requires care in moving individual connections over since it is a different layout and size, and a jumper cable for the rollover switch. $125 if I do it or $480 if A/C company does it.
Leaning toward new system since the exhaust fan is starting to make noise also. Original system was thrown into place with rafter cross members and gas pipe blocking any repair like major fan replacement. Currently SEER 10 unit with SEER 12 condenser outside and new system would be SEER 17.
Not so worried about R22 freon now since there is and will be a large supply of recycled R22, though I suspect that the retail price will stay near $100 per pound.
Getting quotes now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: