Suntec pump problems

Old 12-19-19, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 99 Posts
Suntec pump problems

I posted this here because the pump seems to be the same as what's used on home oil furnaces, however this is not on a home furnace.

This suntec pump is a A2VA-7116. I'm having problems with fuel delivery to the burner. This is a burner on my steam pressure washer. When I turn on the unit, it ignites and burns for two to four seconds then the burner goes out, then it ignites for a split second and goes out again and will not come back on unless I switch it off and back on again, then it does the same thing.

I cracked the pressure line going to the burner and when I turn the unit on, it sprays a hard stream for two to four seconds, stops, then spurts another little shot and will not spray anymore, just the same pattern as the burner coming on and going off.

I bypassed the controls that shut the fuel off at the outlet by supplying 120 volts to the shutoff solenoid to hold it open, so it's something going on in the pump. There is a valve in the body behind the pump with an adjustment on it which I assume is a regulator for fuel flow. It seems like that's what's shutting the flow off. I took it apart, cleaned it, oiled it and made sure it floats freely, put it back together and it does the same thing. I took the pump internals apart and all looks fine there, no worn out or rusty parts that I can tell. I'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

Old 12-21-19, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Is there a filter either in the tank or between the tank & pump? I'm suspecting a fuel supply problem.

Old 12-21-19, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, both are clean and fuel flows very fast through them. I can open the plug on the bottom of the pump and fuel runs out at a rate of probably a cup every 3 or 4 seconds or so. I can open the air bleed and fuel shoots out under high pressure.

Old 12-22-19, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the fuel solenoid is easily removed, try taking it off & replacing with just a fitting & line which you can use to direct any fuel flow into a container. If you now get a full flow of fuel, it's likely the solenoid that's the problem.

Old 12-22-19, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can take the solenoid off and let it run straight out of the pump, still does the same thing. It's not getting past the regulator. I'll try again and back off the regulator tension.

Old 12-22-19, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That regulator is normally set @ 100# but that can vary depending upon the appliance manufacturers spec but never less than 100.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: