Goodman GMEC96 furnace failing to restart

Old 12-20-19, 04:14 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman GMEC96 furnace failing to restart

I will start with an apology. Sorry, because I know very little about furnaces and I am renting from a landlord who has gone on vacation and is not able / willing to communicate.
Here is how we have been living. The furnace runs and the house is warm. At some point the furnace continues to blow air but the heat is gone. My remedy is to turn the furnace off, wait while the condensate is drained out completely, and then turn the furnace back on. The furnace runs for anywhere between 1 hour and 7 or 8 hours before the heat stops. I have been keeping the thermostat very high in order to not inadvertently turn the furnace off.
Just before he left for his vacation my landlord said the drain hose was probably the culprit because earlier he had added an extension to the hose. He asked me to cut the extension off which I did. Prior to shortening the hose by cutting off the extension the furnace had been running for only about 20 to 30 minutes at a time so this seemed to help. He also said that the drain should be releasing water continually as the furnace is running but this is not what is happening. The drain drips only a few times a minute while the furnace is heating normally. It also makes a gurgling sound. When I turn the furnace off the drain immediately discharges at least a cup of water. I wait for the drain to stop and then I turn the furnace back on. The drain problem may be just something the landlord came up with but I don't know.
I hope my explanation is good enough to allow someone to offer some advice. In the meantime I will continue to monitor the furnace, restart it as required, and wake up in the morning to a frigid main floor. We live in a very cold winter climate.

Old 12-20-19, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A renter is not supposed to repair any equipment supplied by a landlord. A landlord ignoring broken appliances is asking for trouble. A renter fixing a furnace is a liability issue.

We have no idea what furnace you have there but it sounds like there is a trap problem. A piece of hose just dangling will not drain as the vacuum keeps the water in. You confirmed that by getting a lot of water when turning it off. The drain hose needs a trap in it so that the water can drain and not be affected by vacuum.

Old 12-20-19, 05:02 PM
T
Wow Pete thanks for the prompt reply!
I should have mentioned that I have zero intention of opening up the furnace. I was looking for advice more than a hands on solution. If I decide to call a repair person because I get sick of going down and up the stairs I want to at least have some knowledge to protect myself. Tis the season to not have extra cash on hand and I would have to foot the bill until the landlord gets back.
What it sounds like to me though is that if I can fashion a trap in the hose, perhaps by using the extension, i can possible solve the vacuum issue that you have suggested. I will give it a try and post the result here.
Thanks!

Old 12-20-19, 05:35 PM
R
Received 124 Votes on 118 Posts
You’d first need to determine if the trap is even the problem.
What error is the furnace going off on?
By cycling the power on and off you could be resetting an error that has nothing to do with condensate.
And just a warning but an improperly done drain could potentially allow products of combustion to enter the living space. Namely carbon monoxide, which is colorless, odorless and deadly.

Old 12-20-19, 05:46 PM
T
All I did was create a trap at the end of the hose so that it wasn't sucking air. It looks like it didn't help as the furnace did not restart on its own. I have to leave the house now so I will do some testing later. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Old 12-20-19, 06:16 PM
R
Received 124 Votes on 118 Posts
Since it did not start, at what step was achieved during the ignition trial before failure?
I’d be extremely hesitant to work on it yourself, even though you stated above that you don’t plan to open it yourself.
Landlords are legally required to provide heat to tenants.
I’m not sure how your landlord modified the drain. But the furnace should have some sort of internal trap. This trap may require cleaning to remedy your issue but without opening the furnace up and providing the reason it’s not running, the only thing we can do is guess. Which is not an effective diagnostic tool.

Old 12-21-19, 07:39 AM
T
I put everything back the way it was before I started this thread. I will operate the furnace manually until I speak with the landlord. The problem is likely something other than the drain. I was following up on what the landlord said but he was going by past experience I think and hoping for an easy fix. Thanks for your attention to this. Have a happy holiday

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: