Carrier furnace problems

Old 01-03-20, 01:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier furnace problems

Hi,

First post here and I found already "Carrier furnace ECM blower motor problems". Very useful.

However, after troubleshooting everything I could think of, I'm at a loss: the furnace will work for some time then stop with code "12" or sometimes with "41". After power cycle, it usually restores normal operation for some time.

What I noticed, when in "self-test" mode (Sw1-6 ON) it runs through inducer motor low/high speed - always fine.
Blower low/high speed - low speed sometimes fails and then I get error code 44 twice, followed by 41.

Power cycle or retry - and it will do whole test without issues more often than not (got it to fail about 2-3 times out of around 10 tests).

For example, this morning error code 12 was blinking. I power cycled it and it's been working since. This scenario happened every day for the past several days.

What I have checked thus far:
- Self-test (using switches, SW1 - 6 to ON) failed with "12" or with 44 followed by 41, 2-3 times out of 10 attempts.
- Measured blower motor feedback voltage (seems to be within the spec)
- Disassembled blower motor ECM module; visual inspection - current inrush protector (thermistor) looks fine, measuring with ohm meter, resitance at room temperature 1 Ohm (conforms to the spec).
- Motor windings resistance - 4.7 ohm each phase, no conductivity to the housing (good).

Now, an observation in the failing case: when low heat is requested, it seems to be trying to spin up the blower. It jerks back/forth. This should be normal but after several attempts it fails to spin up.

It seems that high speed always works (at least I never saw it failing during a component test, SW1-6 ON).

Any suggestions on what could be causing it to fail to spin up at low speed?

For reference from: https://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/10.../0a/58-06t.pdf
Error code 12:
Blower Calibration Lockout: indicates RPM calculated for low heat was less than 250rpm or greater than 1300rpm on two successive attempts.
Error code 41:
Blower outside valid speed range - indicates the blower is not operating at the calculated RPM.

Ok, and as I went down to take a picture of the error code table, it went into "12" again. The sound from the furnace is a very short buzz (and I know while I was watching it fail the test it would do the same): it jerks the rotor a bit in one or the other direction and stops. It keeps trying several times, then stops.

Old 01-03-20, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Upvotes on 68 Posts
12 is the code you get when you reset power.

BLOWER ON AFTER POWER UP (115 VAC or 24 VAC) Blower runs for 90 seconds, if unit is powered up during a call for heat (RW/W1 closed) or (R-W/W1 opens) during the blower on-delay period.
41 is a bad sign. It sounds like it may be time for a new motor.

If you are not tripping a door switch or flipping off and on the power switch You might inspect the field high voltage connections to the furnace ( with the power switched off).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: