Goodman Furnace 4 flashes

Old 02-18-20, 06:08 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman Furnace 4 flashes

Goodman furnace model GKS90904CXAC. Runs for about 5 minutes then shuts off, give 4 flashes. Then after a few minutes starts again, keeps repeating. I found that the small fan near the burners had some water in it - drain line was clogged. I got all the water out and cleared the drain. I replaced flame sensor with new one (the only part I had on hand).

What information should I provide to get help here? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-20, 06:35 AM
R
Received 92 Votes on 86 Posts
What is the 4 flash code for? The code schematic will be listed on the unit.
Looks like it may be an open limit.

Old 02-18-20, 07:22 AM
C
Looks like it's the high limit switch. Bypassed switch and everything seems to be working fine.

Old 02-18-20, 07:58 AM
R
Please shut the furnace down immediately.
Never ever jump out safely operating controls.
The limit is likely doing it’s job.
Test temp rise across the heat exchanger. Check air filter and make sure all vents are open. Test gas pressure.

Old 02-18-20, 08:22 AM
C
New air filter all vents open. Not sure how to test gas pressure - burners seem to be working fine. Plugged hi limit back in and it works fine now. Perhaps the water in the vent motor was the original problem - not enough flow. AC coils are clean. Not sure what else to check, but it's working fine now with hi limit reconnected.

Old 02-18-20, 08:49 AM
R
Limit will not be affected by water in the pressure switch/tubing.
what’s the heat rise across the furnace?

Old 02-18-20, 09:04 AM
C
Heat rise is 54 degrees F, range for the furnace is 35 - 65. I did discover something: When the access cover was off it ran fine. Then it dawned on me: the plastic bag that the furnace paper work was in appears to have been blocking the intake for air to the burners. The limit switch may have just been a wild goose chase. It's been running quite nicely now for a while and everything seems to be in order. All panels back installed and operation appears normal. The fan did have about 3/4 cup of water in it - but I agree with your assertion. There was no water in the tube to the flow switch, but the water had to have reduced efficiency of the fan. Anyway - it's running fine now. I really believe a lack of air to the burners started this adventure. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Chad C; 02-18-20 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-18-20, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 603 Votes on 568 Posts
It would have had to have been a big bag to block airflow to the burners.
There are several high heat safety switches in most furnaces.
High heat switches don't usually trip for no reason.

That furnace has a drain trap line that requires water in it for proper operation.
Goodman GKS9 manual (pdf)

Old 02-18-20, 06:14 PM
C
There's a 3" plastic pipe intake at the top. When I put my hand over it is sucks my hand against it pretty good when it's running. The previous home owner had the plastic bag containing furnace paperwork and on top of that was bags that contained info on the two hot water heaters. I'd say at least that particular source of air to the burners was completely closed off due to the suction and the placement of the books in bags that sat flat against the opening.

Yes - the drain trap had water in it, but the line from the drain for the fan was completely blocked. It's unclogged and the reservoir that both tubes go into is in like new clean condition now. Thanks big time for the PDF.

The furnace is fully functional and heated the home quite nicely this evening. No more fault lights or any indications of faulty operation.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 02-18-20, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 603 Votes on 568 Posts
You're welcome..... Good job.