Carrier Furnace Filter

Old 02-29-20, 10:20 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Carrier Furnace Filter

Carrier 59TN6A
Installed: 1-7-2015

This furnace replaced a Carrier 58MVP, book shows a much taller furnace, could be why weird filter.

Pulled the filter yesterday and the bottom was filthy.

Name:  FURNACE FILTERS.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  53.9 KB

** I know NOTHING about these things **

Installer cut a hole in the top of the cold air return for the filter....

Name:  FURNACE TOP.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  84.2 KB

I don't understand why he didn't cut a hole in the side then just slide the filter in ?
Wouldn't that have been easier than trying to get that big filter around the gas line?

Name:  FURNACE SIDE.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  82.8 KB

One of the first things I did after buying was check the filter - pulled it up a couple inches, white as snow. Ha, should have pulled it all the way out.

I called the Carrier installer in December to see if he knew when this was cleaned, he thought a couple years ago so he will be here in the spring to check everything including the AC.
Almost afraid to open the blower door - spotless. Guess that big filter gets pulled against the furnace and does its job.

Can't ask the poor lady that lived here, she doesn't even remember living in this town. Golden Years

Thanks for any suggestions, great furnace.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-20, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
The pictures are giving an optical illusion because of the angle.

In the top picture it looks like the plenum is blocked partially by the wall.
I don't know why I'm seeing the furnace sitting several inches back from the edge/corner of the wall.

In the bottom picture it looks like the filter could have been put in where you mention.

That was a customized filter location.... the size won't be found in any furnace information.

Old 02-29-20, 03:09 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, it looks like the wall but it is the chimney for this wood stove, sorry about that.

Name:  WOOD STOVE.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  80.9 KB

I agree, the side should be a good place for a filter door.

Both Carrier books show with my 24 inch "filter housing height" the filter should be 24 x 25, this big one is 25 x 25. It is a real bear getting these flimsy filters in an out past the gas line.

They built this place in 82, could that first Carrier last 32 years till she installed the new one?

I'm gonna stick my endoscope in there and see what everything looks like. The inside of the furnace is spotless so filter is working, weird as it looks.

Thanks Pete