Intermittent Pilot Modules Keep Failing

Old 03-01-20, 06:47 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Pilot Modules Keep Failing

I have Lennox Whisper Heat C23-26-1. Two years ago I replaced the original module with Honeywell S8610U-3900 that failed after a year and was replaced with the same model which failed now. Before failing this time i noticed the furnace had problem with starting the main fire. I was able to get the flashing codes. When in continuing startup cycle the LED was flashing this code: Recycle Flame failed during run Initiate new trial for ignition. Flash code will remain through the ignition trial until flame is proved. And when finally was running it was flashing this code: 4 Seconds ON then x (it was 4) flashes Device in run mode. "x" = flame current to the nearest μA. I wanted to clean the flame sensor and check if this is the problem but before i got to it the module failed. Now when called for heat there is no ignition sound and no LED light.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-20, 07:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Check all of your wiring for loose or dirty connections. If need be, get an electrician to follow the wiring all the way back to the breaker panel. Bad connections & power surges are the major cause of premature control failures.

DOitIGGY voted this post useful.
Old 03-02-20, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Make sure there is 24vAC on the 24v and 24v ground terminals on the ignition board when the heat should be running.

If power is there.... the board has a problem.
If power is not there..... a safety or sensor is open in the furnace.

DOitIGGY voted this post useful.
Old 03-08-20, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Ok..... you replaced the module. Are you getting 24vAC to the module on a call for heat ?

Old 03-08-20, 07:20 PM
D
I did it myself! With the help of the members here :)

I found out what the problem was using the multimeter and following the connections. I don't even know what is this little part that caused the problem but after shorting the connection everything works. I'm including a picture so maybe someone can tell me what it is and what it does.
I wonder if this part could be the reason for the failing of ignition modules. I also cleaned flame sensor and now ignition stops after two igniter bursts where before it was taking about 10.
Looks like there is no option here to attach the picture so I will try to explain where the part is later.

Old 03-08-20, 07:32 PM
D
So you can post a picture with an URL link but not upload. This picture I found online and on it is Whisper Heat that looks exactly like mine. Except mine is much cleaner Anyway, the part I was talking about is the one that connects two brown cables.