York Affinity furnace working correctly?

Old 03-18-20, 01:53 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Affinity furnace working correctly?

I have the Affinity YP9C. I understand that this unit has a modulating burner but every time I check my ecobee 3 lite thermostat app it only ever shows the furnace in stage 1 heat. I don't know if there is supposed to be a stage 2 or 3 or something else as I've only seen stage 1. This is a bit concerning in that I don't know if the furnace is working as it should or if there is an issue with the thermostat (only showing stage 1). Thanks

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

03-18-20, 02:55 PM
user 10
Received 39 Votes on 33 Posts
York modulating furnaces can only be set up for single stage thermostat.

The stat just signals heat is required and the board determines what firing rate to run at depending on previous cycle length and time into the cycle.

Old 03-18-20, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Is the house maintaining the set temp?

Old 03-18-20, 02:55 PM
York modulating furnaces can only be set up for single stage thermostat.

The stat just signals heat is required and the board determines what firing rate to run at depending on previous cycle length and time into the cycle.

edee_em, PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 03-18-20, 06:29 PM
E
It does, once it gets there. By this I mean that when coming off a setback at night, say 72*, it takes a fair bit of time to get temp to wakeup set temp of 74*. I would have thought that the furnace would be running a bit "louder"/harder in order to get the temp up quicker, if that makes any sense.

Old 03-18-20, 06:32 PM
E
Interesting. So I would never see stage 2 but the furnace is operating normally. Thanks for that insight user10!

Old 03-18-20, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 836 Votes on 783 Posts
The link below is the service manual for you furnace. Read page 40.
SECTION X: NORMAL OPERATION AND DIAGNOSTICS
It explains the operation of the heating system in detail.

York TP9C manual

edee_em voted this post useful.
Old 03-18-20, 10:45 PM
E
Thanks for the link PJmax. Good to see it in writing!

Old 03-19-20, 11:01 AM
E
I just got off a chat with Ecobee and they told me that none of their thermostats support modulating furnaces. Am I correct in deducing that, given that information, my furnace is only turning on and off and bypassing a feature that cost me a lot of money?

Old 03-19-20, 04:42 PM
D
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
What feature cost you a lot of money?

The thermostat or furnace? If you read the installation instructions it shows only one spot on the board for heat- "W". That Ecobee will control heat the same way as a $20 thermostat from, say, Home Depot. The furnace board controls the modulation. If you wanted a furnace that just ran at 100% capacity to heat the house asap, you bought the wrong one!

Old 03-19-20, 07:07 PM
E
User 10, I understand what you are saying, especially after you said it twice, except I saw communicating thermostats specifically for their Affinity furnaces on the York website. The ecobee is not a communicating thermostat. Are you saying the ecobee is fine and I don't need a communicating thermostat?

Also, I'm not "seeing/feeling" the furnace running in any kind of "modulating" fashion. It's either on or it's off blowing at what I would interpret as its maximum like a single stage furnace. Full disclosure: I'm not perched over supply vents measuring temps or air flow but I just don't get any hint the furnace is doing anything except being on hard and then off.

Old 03-19-20, 07:16 PM
E
D.T. Hvac Guy, the furnace is what I am referring to. Got the thermostat for free (local energy program). I didn't buy this furnace to run at 100%. I bought it for the feature of modulating heat and variable blower. The sales pitch was increased savings and efficiency. My issue is with the way it is currently set up, the furnace and thermostat duo don't seem to be doing any "modulating". Two of you have pointed out that the furnace will handle the modulating but I'm not seeing it. Don't know what to do to check if it is modulating/operating properly.

Old 03-19-20, 07:25 PM
I don't think yours supports the modulating stat.

The circuit board handles controlling output as said before.

When recovering from set back, will initially take a while to get up to high fire.

Old 03-20-20, 04:59 AM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Hi, can we assume it worked fine before you changed the Stat?
Geo

Old 03-20-20, 10:48 AM
E
Hi Geo
I don't think we can make that conclusion. The thermostat was installed on an older Carrier Infinity that was replaced by the York. The stat and Carrier did what they were supposed to do. When the York was installed I remember the tech had some troubles getting things to fire up but he eventually prevailed. So, I don't know that it worked properly before the stat because the stat was there before the unit (if that makes sense).

Old 03-20-20, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
I'm going thru the Affinity installation/programming manuals. Although they offer a communicating thermostat..... I can't see it anywhere mentioned that the thermostat can modulate the burner.

Old 03-20-20, 11:23 AM
D
On your old Carrier Infinity it was possible to discern the the heating stages by their sound. On a furnace with a modulating gas valve this is hard to do, as the changes in operation are seamless. Compare it to a car with a CVT versus a regular automatic trans. The Infinty's gas valve had low, medium, and high fire. Your York has a gas valve that had a very broad range of capacity.

Old 03-20-20, 12:38 PM
E
Thanks PJ. And when I asked York through their contact us page they emailed me back and told me to talk to the installer (who would be like all of us, well not me, you guys) as they don't handle tech issues. York/Johnson Controls doesn't technically support their product?

Further, I don't want to spend $2, 3, or 400 on a thermostat that doesn't do anything that a cheap $20 stat (as D.T. pointed out) would do. Just really confused is all.

Old 03-20-20, 12:54 PM
E
D.T., I understand that and it is why I'm asking because, I can hear the heating cycle coming to an end because the fan comes on a little stronger for a bit of time and then there is silence. If I understand modulation I should hear/detect the unit heating and the fan turning on after this end of cycle, right. Doesn't it turn off and on constantly over the day? Should I be hearing the fan at end of cycle if it is modulating?

Also, when I check the Ecobee app it shows, "equipment running: stage 1 heat and fan" when on and then "no equipment running" after the hear cycle ends which I interpret to mean the furnace isn't on, IF and it's a big IF, the app, stat and furnace are communicating properly. At night time it's a bit easier to hear the equipment cycling on (hear the igniter and burners firing up) and then the end of cycle followed by silence. It just seems to me that it's off or on with no in-between or modulation going on. Perhaps I'll put a camera on the furnace to monitor it over a period of time to see if it is coming on without me or software noticing it.

Old 03-21-20, 07:00 AM
D
I'm confused. Are you trying to say that your blower is on after the call for heat has ended? Thats normal. The blower motor will run for a period of time after the call from the thermostat has ended. If the thermostat is set for fan on, the blower goes 24/7.

Old 03-21-20, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Modulation is the gradual raising and lowering of gas to the burner as well as the blower speed.
As mentioned.... it's hard to hear or tell if the burner is actually changing.
I would think it would be pretty easy to hear the blower speed changing.

Old 03-21-20, 11:03 AM
E
D.T., yes, I know that the blower stays on for a bit at the end of the cycle. What I was trying to say is at that end of cycle, everything goes quiet after that extra bit of blower time: no burner igniting, no blower running, etc. until the stat calls for heat after it goes a degree or two below the set temp.

I guess what I really need to ask is what does having a modulating furnace really mean? What should I expect, how is it different or the same as a non-modulating unit and so on? I'm going to have to research what having a modulating furnace should be like.

My first question would be, so when is it actually doing the modulating thing: when the stat calls for heat or on its own? Is the furnace turning on and off without input from the stat, and without me noticing it, to keep the house close to the set temp?

Actually just got my answer, I think. I had my stat app opened and I have the temp set at 74. The house temp showed 74 as well but as I was typing out the lines above, the furnace came on and the blower started even though the house is at the set temp. Is this what modulating is? Oh, and the stat is telling me the stage 1 heat and fan are on, so the stat isn't preventing anything to confirm what everyone has already stated.

Old 03-22-20, 10:31 PM
D
You are overthinking things. The furnace will sit there doing nothing until the thermostat tells it to do something. The exception is if you have the fan set to "on" as opposed to "auto". You will not know the furnace is modulating because it does it in many small steps. Think of it as dimmer switch as opposed to an on/off switch. Modulating just means the furnace's Btu output can be controlled. Say you have a 100K Btu furnace. When the initial call for heat is received, it may operate at 60% of its capacity. As time goes on, and the thermostat is still calling for heat, the furnace may modulate to 70% capacity, then 85%, etc. Simplified explanation but I hope it helps. The furnace coming on while the thermostat shows the set point temp is normal. The thermostat is anticipating the next call for heat.