York Furnace - 11 red flashes

Old 03-18-20, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Furnace - 11 red flashes

I am trying to troubleshoot my York Furnace:

MODEL: TGLS100C20MP11A

ISSUE: The furnace intermittently does not start. After resetting the power by unplugging and plugging back in, the furnace will run a cycle, maybe two or more and then will fail to start some time after. When running, it heats fine and the air flow is good but the unit rattles a tiny bit so I'm wondering if there is a loose blower wheel? The blower wheel turns by hand okay and doesn't feel loose, but feels heavy and I'm not sure if it should spin real easily like a car's radiator fan. The last attempt to run, I notice the unit was humming like the blower was trying to start spinning but could not. I unplugged it. It restarted after that just fine, but I'm no longer comfortable letting it run without a proper repair.

ERROR CODE: 11 red flashes. The York site says this is usually caused by a failed blower motor or blower wheel. That information is great, but is it definitive?!

SOLUTIONS: I would like to know if an out of balance blower wheel could be the cause of vibration and noise and if that is enough to cause the unit to fail to operate? Is the blower motor shot? Totally comfortable to replace, but am I going down the right path but doing this? Could it be the run capacitor, etc... what should I test first?

So, based on these things I DO know, which component and things should I troubleshoot first to isolate the issue? I know my way around a multi meter and can practice electrical safety and I really want to solve this one myself. Look forward to any help I can get!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-20, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

After resetting power to the furnace..... run it until you get a code. It may be a red 4 flash signifying main thermal sensor opening.

The blower should spin fairly easily. Might be a little resistance at first as it's a heavy blower wheel. An out of balance wheel can definitely cause vibration. You need to watch the wheel closely as it was spinning. If the motor had a hard time starting from the cold....... then it could be a capacitor. If the motor was warm/hot and hummed..... it probably has bad bearings and needs to be replaced. The cap only runs around $10 so it's an inexpensive try.

This should be your manual. Let me know if it's not.
TGLS100 furnace manual (pdf)