Furnace working Intermittently

Old 04-04-20, 02:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace working Intermittently

The video I have here shows my furnace trying to fire but does not. The odd part is that it continues to run and blows cold air into my house. It doesn’t shut off and blink any codes to go by. I did take the flame senser out and cleaned it with a dollar bill, but still does the same thing. Maybe I will try again to clean it better, but I’m not sure if that is it or not. It does this intermittently though, so most of the time it does light and the heat works. I’m just not sure what to check at this point. Hopefully someone can give me some tips if they recognize what the issue may be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4hw6jb716...%20PM.mov?dl=0

It is a weather king 90RJ or 90TJ. That is what the front of the manual says. Basically it does everything up to the HSI turning on and tries to light, as in I can hear the valve and see the blue flames kick off and on a few times then the HSI turns off and the blower starts, but the flame does not stay lit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by PJmax; 04-05-20 at 10:28 AM. Reason: removed link
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-20, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
I can't tell from the video but it looks like the flame may not be going across all of the burners. The sensor is usually on the opposite end from the ignitor. Do all of the burners light?

Old 04-04-20, 05:08 PM
J
I am 99% sure all of them do light, I will try and confirm that some time, itís tough to know when it happens and catch it on video. But you are correct, the sensor is on the left hand side, opposite of the igniter.

Old 04-04-20, 08:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
If they are all lighting, clean the sensor again with steel wool, scotch brite, or fine sand paper. Make sure the flame sensor has a good connection to the board & your grounds are clean & tight. If you are still having trouble, we can delve deeper.

Old 04-05-20, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 824 Votes on 774 Posts
That gas valve appears to be cycling. It should not do that. The burner should try to start. The gas valves is typically open for 5-7 seconds and then if flame is not correctly established.... the cycle aborts and the fan will remain running.

I would check the wiring on the gas valve. Also check the wiring where the valve connects to the controller. If the gas valve has an on/off switch on it..... operate that a few times. We're looking for a corroded or intermittent problem. Disconnect and reconnect wiring plugs.

Old 04-06-20, 03:45 PM
J
Grady - I did what you suggested - cleaned the sensor with steel wool and checked the connections and everything appears to be. I think the steel wool cleaned it a little bit more, but it wasn't terribly dirty to begin. I know they are finicky though. After I was done doing that and checking it fired up first try. The thing is that its been quite warm here yesterday and today so it really hasn't come on much at all, like it would have been last week. Being intermittent, that makes it tough. Still monitoring it though.

PJmax - I did not specifically check every connection in there, I only took a quick peak at the wires other than the flame sensor ones, but I can go back again and check the gas valve specifically. What you are saying makes sense with it cycling. Most videos I've seen of flame sensor issues so the flame coming on for a few seconds, consistently, as you said. But I figured the way my furnace functions could be slightly different, so it wasn't a definitive answer. I'll reply back after I check the connections with the gas valve.

Thank you!