Cleaning Out Heat Ducts.

Old 06-08-01, 09:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I have been doing some research about cleaning out my heat vents. I have allergies real bad and I am allergic to house dust so I believe that I will benefit from having this done. I always like doing things myself instead of paying someone one else.

I have a crazy idea that I would like to run across and maybe get some comments to see if this might work.

I was thinking of using my shop vac and placing the hose through a board that is cut to fit the vent right behind the furnace filter (filter removed) to get a air tight fit. then tape up all of my vents through out the house. Then start at one of the vents from up stairs and slowly feed a air line (hooked up to a air compressor) into the vent as far as it will go,then tape that vent up and go to another one. After doing all of the vents do you think there will be a big improvement? Do you think a shop vac will have a strong enough suction to pull the dust down two storys? after I am done I was even thinking of cutting a piece of the black charcoal filters that I use in my air purifier behind each one of my vents. Do you think that my blower on my furnace will be strong enough to force the air through all of the filters that is behind the vents? Or do you think this will cause damage to my furnace?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your help. I am just a rookie with a lot of ideas :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-01, 10:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks to all of you that has replied. It sounds like you saved me a lot of money and headaches. I guess I will just try to make sure my vents isnt leaking any where.

Thanks again,Randy