Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

What would/could make my water heater and furnace stop working at the same time?

What would/could make my water heater and furnace stop working at the same time?

Old 04-18-20, 02:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My furnace is acting as if it has a bad flame sensor, I tried cleaning it but that didn't seem to make a difference. The pilot on my water heater keeps going out. I can relight it but eventually it just goes out again. Just seems weird that they stopped working at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-20, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It could be a gas pressure issue. If there is a common shut off valve somewhere in the gas line that controls both of those appliances.... make sure it's all the way on.

Do you have other gas appliances in the house and how are they working ?
If you feel you may have a gas supply issue.... call your gas provider.
That should be a no charge test.

Old 04-18-20, 03:45 PM
J
My stove is also gas and seems to be working fine. I couldn't seem to find a common valve but I'll definitely contact my provider, thanks!

Old 04-19-20, 04:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
Are your appliances propane or natural gas? If propane how is the gas distributed throughout your house? In my house I have secondary regulators located near appliances. If one of them goes bad it can cause problems for any devices connected to it.

Old 04-20-20, 12:51 AM
J
It was low gas pressure. Ameren came out today and replaced the regulator and meter.