Empire Floor Furnace won't fire up

Old 07-27-20, 06:40 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Empire Floor Furnace won't fire up

I have an Empire 6088 gas fired floor furnace in a small vacation cottage. The unit is relatively new having been purchased and installed in 2014 to replace the old unit. In the past two years I have been having issues with the unit firing up to heat. The pilot lights easily. The thermostat (miilvolt) clicks and calls for heat. I have even changed out the thermostat to see if that is the issue. Had a heater repairman come out and of course it kept firing that day. He said that the thermostat wires are good and communicating with the unit just fine. Here is the weird part. If you are familiar with these units, there is a register control with a temperature limit switch attached. It flips one way or another to control the temperature swings. Out of frustration one day, I flipped it really hard back into place and the unit fired up. Every time the unit does not fire, I do this a few times and the unit will fire up. So, I shook the wires and checked the connections in the heater (from inside the house) and they were all good, Heater did not fire. I then changed out both high limit sensors. The one on this register control and the fixed high limit on the other side. Still have the same problem with it firing. Once again, I slammed the swinging register control into place really hard and the unit fires. The only local heater guy changed out the gas valve. It fired up and he left. A month later same problem. Looking for some solution. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-20, 11:14 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, millivolt systems have a limit on the length of Tstat cable, also when you changed the Tstat was it rated for millivolts ? Any wiring Dia. that you could post?
Geo

Last edited by Geochurchi; 07-27-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can't find any info or listing on an Empire 6088.
Possibly old stock when it was installed in 2014.

I'm familiar with these units but not understanding what you are doing.
Pictures will be required for us to help you since I can't find any mfg info.
How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 07-28-20, 03:47 PM
S
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If any of the controls have been replaced, make sure that they are rated for use with a millivolt system. Make sure that all wiring connections are tight and any connections are done with the connecting ends of the copper have been cleaned. Make sure that the correct pilot generator (power pile) has been installed. Sometimes, older controls contacts will get dirty providing too much resistance. Remember that the power pile only puts put about 3/4 volts so any resistance to electrical flow may affect operation.

Old 07-29-20, 08:52 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry The unit is a 7088. I just find it strange that flipping over the "register control" makes it fire up quite often. It's a little beach cottage that I do use on occassion in the winter. It sure warms the place up in a hurry. So, it's nice to have that crawl space kept warm to prevent those cold ocean breezes from freezing the pipes between visits. I do shut off the water, but draining everything would be a hassle.

Old 08-01-20, 04:32 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, have you checked for good ground connections, possibly around the limit switches?
Geo