Goodman furnace, propane, forced air leaking water

Old 10-13-20, 05:16 PM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Goodman furnace, propane, forced air leaking water

Had heating plumbing guy out last week to clean it (1st time in 3 years) and he pointed out that the unit was leaking water. It's 15 yo, 69,000BTU 93% efficient furnace.

The quote for a new Payne PG95ESAA42060; 96% furnace is $5,374.48. This seems really high to me.

The tech said my 1,032 sq ft, single story house with walk out basement (not heated) needs 2 more heat runs.

I cannot remember when I closed one heat run off to a spare bedroom bc for years it was only used for storage but years ago I did that. I also closed a heat run off to a very small 7x10' room directly over the furnace in the basement bc it was also being used for storage and is now the laundry room but still have not opened that heat run bc it stays all winter about 58 - 60 deg. in there.

The number of hot air runs that have remained open the 29 years I've lived here are 5 with 4 cold air runs. I did have a wall removed between the storage bedroom and living room. This weekend I opened that hot and cold runs by replacing with flex duct work the tech dropped off for me. So now there are 6 hot air runs and 5 cold air runs all open. One very short hot air run from the furnace to the laundry room is still closed off.

I also had another wall between the living room and kitchen removed and a smaller half wall put in with the door area much larger and completely open. House now consists of one bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room with a small hallway between the bedroom, laundry room and bath room. Kitchen and living room take up front 1/2 of the house which is 32'x32' total. Living room is 16'x21'.

I'm a woman in my late 60's and have been taken advantage of too many times to count. This business is well liked and I thought the tech was sincere. I would like to continue using them. They were here 3 years ago and did a very good/complete job cleaning my furnace, at least I thought so. Their proposal seems high to me at $5,374. 48. It includes installing 2 additional heat runs for furnace to operate properly. Necessary ductwork modifications. A Honeywell electronic non=programamable thermostat (I just put a new digital thermostat in last winter and took out the old mercury one but they don't know anything about this) A Bryant EZFlex 10 MERV media filter. And of course disposal of existing furnace, labor and site left neat and orderly. Permit & inspection.

I'm sorry if I didn't include enough info. Is their proposal reasonable? Thank You! Oh, I live in Northern Lower Michigan. Winters can get severe here.

Old 10-13-20, 08:01 PM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Why do you need a new furnace?
Just fix the water leak.

Old 10-13-20, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
he pointed out that the unit was leaking water.
It's a condensing furnace. During the heating process it extracts moisture from the flue gases. The condensate is handled thru a drain system that can get clogged.

We would have to assume that if it requires replacement...... it is rusted out.
Is that correct ? Did they give you any type of problem description ?
Many heat exchangers are guaranteed for 20 years parts but the replacement labor makes entire furnace replacement more cost effective.

Prices are very hard to discuss as every area is different. Based on the cost of that furnace..... I'd say that estimate is high. I'd recommend getting a second estimate. Doesn't have to be the same exact furnace. Just an equivalent size.

Old 10-14-20, 03:12 AM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
It's leaking water and the tech showed me but, I can't remember what he said other than the guts of the furnace would have to be removed and it was a costly repair. May not be worth doing. He also thought the furnace was only 6-7 years old, why he thought that, don't know. I couldn't remember but after he left, I dug up the paperwork and it was installed on 8/24/2005.

Pete, is 60,000 btu equivalent to 69,000 btu? close enough?

I will get two more estimates. Thank You!

Old 10-14-20, 07:30 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
I wouldn’t get estimates on replacement. Get other repair opinions first. It may not need replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: