Clogged drainage pipe

Old 06-16-01, 12:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

My a/c's drainage pipe is not draining properly and is creating a puddle. The unit is on the second floor and the PVC piping runs inside the walls. What would be the most effective way to solve my problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-01, 04:05 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Remove panels

around drain to gain access to evap pan.Use a shop vac to clean pan.If the trap for drain has a clean out remove.Replace clean and flush hot water down drain.If this does not work you will need to place a garden in drain hole and give it a good burst.If this clears drain take a weak solution of warm water and bleach to flush drain.PDF

Old 06-16-01, 03:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry Still clogged

Thank for your advice its still clogged somewhere witin the walls. Should I use chemicals or would you have any other suggestions?

Old 06-16-01, 03:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's not blocked right by the unit where the drain starts, I would open the pipe and either blow air from a compressor into it or maybe a hose. What i found that works good also is one of those metal snakes that electricians use to pull wires thru walls. I've had luck with those. The seem to be small enough to go thru that kind of pvc and yet flexable enough to go around bends. Either way, one of those methods should work. Not easy but has to be done.

Old 06-16-01, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Find the outside end. I've seen many occasions where the drain line end has gotten buried by dirt, leaves or mulch over the previous season, and all the blowing, vaccing, won't stop condensate backups until the end of the pipe is clear to drain. You may have to actually cut the pvc pipe loose at the air handler and glue or compression couple a hose fitting onto the pipe to generate enought pressure with either water or air to fix the problem for real.

Old 06-17-01, 09:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Question I have a similar problem

With my house. The outside air unit and the inside air handler are only two years old. The condensation drainage pipe is PVC and runs straight through the floor and under the house... and I have no idea where it drains out. I don't see the end of the pipe outside. There is no current access at the air handler inside to open the line and flush it. Do I need to cut the PVC pipe close to the air handler and make access? Also, is it s a good idea to splice in there a clear vinyl section in order to be able to see the drainage water running out effortlessly?

Thanks in advance-

OhBoy

Old 06-17-01, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Many people do use the clear tubing for such splices. After all, it's usually a simple gravity drain, there's no pressure.

Hooking water pressure from the inside will let you look for the wet spot. Frequently, the condensate drain follows the same path as the refrigeration tubing, and will come out very close to where they do. That's why they get buried. That space between the condensing unit and the structure is a natural collection point for dirt, leaves, mulch, and other stuff that will bury the tube.

It's easier with one person inside controlling the water and another hunting outside (those little personal radios are very handy for this)