Any guidence on how to light this pilot light?

Old 10-29-20, 11:16 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Any guidence on how to light this pilot light?

I apologize that this is so basic. I moved to a new home, and it's rather cold here, but I'm uncertain how to light the pilot light on my furnace. This is one of those wall furnaces. Here's what it looks like in the lower half, beneath the vent.

Bottom section of the heater, behind the vent

I'm assuming that the knob to turn is the blue one.

The blue knob

In writing on it, it says "Press to reset". On the left side of that knob (as in, 90 degrees to the left of the top most position on the knob) it says "ON" . If this is the knob to turn - which direction do I turn it - clockwise? How far?

I'm confused then about where to light the flame also. I didn't spot any holes or anything where I could stick my fire lighter. Here is a closer up of the top half of this bottom part of the heater. Is it somewhere down here where I light it?

Close up of the top half of the bottom section of the heater

Any guidance is appreciated because it's getting cold here. Thank you so much in advance

Last edited by PJmax; 10-30-20 at 12:19 AM. Reason: labeled pic
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-20, 12:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,202 Votes on 1,112 Posts
I added an orange arrow to your diagram. That's where you light the pilot.

Your gas valve is currently off.
Push in the knob and turn to pilot arrow (red) until it points at black mark.
Keep holding the valve in and light the pilot.
Wait 30 seconds and turn the valve to on. (yellow to black mark)

The black arrow is the locating pointer.

Old 10-30-20, 09:17 AM
B
Oh. Hey thank you. I am going to try this asap this morning. The arrows are so useful. So just to make sure I get you, this is a two step process - 1. press in and turn red to black and light the pilot. 2. once pilot is lit (and after 30 seocnds of holding it down), turn it even more until yellow is at black, and this will keep it lit.

i have to say i was never going to guess that was how to do this so i'm extremity grateful for these arrows and you telling me what to do

Old 10-30-20, 11:10 AM
Received 257 Votes on 231 Posts
Just be aware that sometimes it may take up to a minute and a half to purge any air that might be in that small pilot light tubing. And in case PJ's instructions weren't clear you must keep the blue knob depressed while lighting the pilot.

Old 10-30-20, 03:30 PM
B
Hey thank you. Actually I remember the guy from the gas company mentioning that about purging the air. When I first moved in he had to come turn on the gas again, and check that the light work. And he had to sit there for about 5 minutes getting it to light. He said he was purging the air. How will I know once it is purged? (If I"m able to light it - does that mean the air is all purged? Or is there something more I will have to do)

Thanks for re-clarifying about keeping the blue knob depressed while lighting. I caught that when I read the post over the second time. Thank you guys so much, I'm going to try this now! So grateful because it's gotten cold

Old 10-30-20, 03:44 PM
B
Ok I must be the worlds biggest idiot because I can not figure out how this works. When I press in, I'm able to turn the knob counter clockwise enough, so that the "pilot" mark (red arrow) is on the black arrow. Gas starts, and after a bit I'm able to light the pilot light and I see the little fire inside. But then at that point the blue knob is kind of locked in place and won't move in either direction. The only way I can seem to get it to move again, is to unpress it, but then the gas instantly stops. If it's not pressed in, then I have the ability to rotate it so that it's in the 'on' position, but by that point the gas stops and the light goes out. I'm waiting 30 seconds to un press it, so I must be doing something stupid here.

Old 10-30-20, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Wait a little longer. The pilot needs to heat the thermocouple enough to hold the pilot valve open. If you can get the pilot to stay lit...., the thermocouple may be bad.

Old 10-30-20, 04:27 PM
B
Ok I get it. So there should be a point (so long as everything is working), that once I let go of that button, it should stay lit even though I'm not pressing it down.

Is there an amount of time I should wait, after which I'd known if the termocouple was bad? 1 minute? 5 minutes? I'll go try it again. I truly hope it works because my landlords won't do anything to quickly fix this and it's already so cold.

Old 10-30-20, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Your landlord is obligated to provide you with heat.
You should not be working on a potentially problem gas heater.

In looking at the pictures..... your heater doesn't use a thermocouple. It uses a thermopile which generates a DC voltage to hold the pilot on and activate the main burner. It is the part to the right of my orange arrow and connects to the gas valve with a cable and two leads.

That part can be checked by connecting a voltmeter reading DC voltage.
It should measure just under 1vdc.

Once the pilot is lit..... it should only be a minute until the thermopile is hot enough to generate enough voltage. The pilot flame should be fairly robust. Not a tiny pilot like you'd typically see.

Old 10-30-20, 04:43 PM
B
Sadly, I don't have a voltmeter. but i can order one. Indeed, my landlord is obligated to provide these things, but they are obligated to do other things they don't do also i'll probably just look in to getting a space heater

since this thing uses a thermophile and not a thermocouple - should the behavior be the same in that case? or does that change the way i should be doing things?

Just in case I didn't misrepresent what I'm doing, I'll try and word it better. I press that button in and shift it to "pilot". While holding the knob down I light the flame. It does light up. But the moment I stop pressing on the knob, the fire goes out. (I notice that if I immediately press it down again it tends to come back on. but if I wait too long it won't come back on again when pressing it down again). I went ahead and tried again, lit it, and held the button down for two minutes before i stopped holding it down, but the fire went out when i stopped pressing on it

i appreciate your responses. i also seem to remember that the guy from the gas company was able to get it lit. it took him a long time. but once he got the air out of the line he got that thing lit and it stayed on until he turned it off. so i feel like this is just me doing something dumb

Old 10-30-20, 05:58 PM
B
Hey, I believe I was able to get it lit! I can't believe it. I needed to turn my thermostat to heat. I wouldn't have guessed that. I'm not sure why this made a difference, or maybe it's a coincidence, but after I switched the thermostat to heat, it was able to stay lit.

Old 10-30-20, 06:05 PM
Received 257 Votes on 231 Posts
Good for you. Glad we were of help.

Old 10-30-20, 06:40 PM
B
seriously. i wish i could thank you guys enough. my eyesight is kind of bad, so i didn't even notice any of those words on the blue knob until you guys pointed it out. can't thank you enough, because it was so cold here. finally - HEAT! Have a wonderful weekend, all of you!

Old 10-30-20, 07:42 PM
B
Hey sorry to update this once more, but I wanted to check, is it OK to smell a bit of gas after getting that lit? In fairness I tired so many times to light it so I wonder if i let too much gas out. Should I just open my windows, is this normal? It's not the rotten egg smell, just a regular gas smell, i wish i knew better words for it. It's only very faint though.

Old 10-30-20, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
The smell of gas from lighting should dissipate quickly.
If it doesn't in 10-15 minutes then you'll need to be checking for leaks.

Old 10-31-20, 02:33 AM
B
Hey, thanks for this follow up. Yeah, the smell went away. I think I just tried lighting it so many times haha. Thank you guys for all of your help. For the first time this week, I am not going to sleep in a cold room, I'm very grateful. Wishing you all the best.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-01-20, 05:18 AM
A
Received 91 Votes on 84 Posts
Purging the gas line.

If the water heater or other appliance had been shut off for a long time then it could take a considerable time holding the dial or the knob in before air in the pilot light feed tube to squirt out and the pilot light will take fire.

If the water heater had just been installed or the half inch or so gas pipe disconnected and reconnected, then it could take an incredible time holding the knob in for all the air in the pipe to queue up inside the pipe and finally squeeze through the tiny pilot light orifice. Experienced and well equipped gas company technicians have a way to get most of this air out before connecting up the water heater.

If the orifice were larger so purging would be faster then the pilot light will consume more gas in its normal operation and your gas bill would be higher. Thus the tiny orifice.

It is hard to tell how long you have to wait. If you waited an incredible amount of time but it really needed only a considerable amount of time, there will be gas floating around near the pilot light assembly and you might get a popping noise when you finally touch a match to the pilot assembly (marked with the orange arrow above). Some instructions say, when you think the line is purged, to let go of the knob and wait five minutes for gas floating around to dissipate. Then come back and hold the knob in again and light your match.

After the pilot light takes fire you need to hold the knob in so the thermowhatzit, whose slightly fatter end should be in the pilot flame, heats up. If this consistently takes more than two minutes then chances are that part needs replacing.

As far as popping noises go, if the orifices in the main burner closes to the pilot light are clogged, then it will take longer for the burner kick on process to take place. Enough gas has to come out of the burner to drift over to the pilot light in order to get ignition, and a delay in ignition may result in lots of gas floating around making a pop when it finnally ignites.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-01-20 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 08:02 AM
B
Hey thank you so much for all this detailed info. I think I am actually really lucky that the gas guy came by a couple months ago when I moved in and tested the pilot, because he must have sat there for about 5 minutes purging the gas line, and I think I never would have known to wait so long. It did take a little while for me to be able to get the pilot to light, but no where near 5 minutes, so i think i am just lucky it worked out as it did. It's really good to know these specifics because before this thread I never even knew there was a device (thermocouple or thermophile) that served to keep the light lit once you had lit the pilot. this is also really good to know about how to handle letting excess gas out and pausing before trying again

luckily i got the thing going finally. and im so happy because i really needed heat. thank u guys for sharing your knowledge so selflessly with others because it can really help them