On First try, only one burner usually lights

Old 12-13-20, 08:30 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
On First try, only one burner usually lights

I've got an approx 7 year old york furnace that only has 2 burners (fuel is propane). After it has sat for a while, on the first try to start inducer comes on, HSI glows, valve clicks, first burner ignites but flame doesn't spread to the second burner. After no flame sensed on the 2nd burner, gas shuts off and it recycles and virtually always lights both burners properly on the second attempt.

I first tried cleaning burners and the wings. No different. I replaced the burners and no different. I have made sure the fins on the two burners are touching. I have tested inlet pressure to be within range of specs on tag on the furnace. Outlet pressure calls for 10". It was slightly below that and I adjusted to right at 10. Seems that it jumps right to 10" when calling for heat when you hear the click of the valve so doesn't seem that the outlet pressure is slow to come up to pressure.

I disassembled the manifold and it seems to be clear. I cleaned the orifices and then swapped the two orifices and still getting no flame on second burner on first attempt to light after it has sat. After it lights that second time I can lower temp at thermostat to turn it off and then back on right away and the second burner will light back up virtually instantly with the first burner. Its just that first ignite after it has sat that has trouble.

I have used a long lighter with gas off and thermostat calling for heat and both burners seem the same in terms of draft pulling flame into the exchanger. If I have the lighter lit at the end of the burner it will usually light though there have been times when there is a delay before it will light. Seems that there are times when I light the lighter while draft inducer is running and before the valve has opened that the lighter will go out from the draft. Don't know if this would be normal or if this could be related to no lighting.

This is at a vacation home so won't be there for at least a week or so but wondering if it could be the valve but don't want to throw money at that unless I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Its a White Rodgers 36J24-206 valve. Any suggestions or additional things to test would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 12-13-20, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,608 Votes on 1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Typically it's dirty/rusted burners that cause that problem but you've changed them.
Secondly would be plugged orifices.
Thirdly would be low manifold pressure.
You've covered all of that.
Gas valves rarely go bad. You could monitor the manifold pressure when the burner lights.
If the required psi was there it wouldn't be a valve problem.

Old 12-13-20, 06:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you pjmax for the reply. I watched the output pressure from the valve and it seemed to jump right to 10" at the time the valve opened. I probably need to monitor that after it's sat for some period of time. I'll try that. Thanks again. Appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: