Spare Gas Valve for Trane Furnace worth it?

Old 12-28-20, 12:45 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Spare Gas Valve for Trane Furnace worth it?

I have reason to suspect that the gas valve in my 25-year old Trane furnace may be going South. I've never had any trouble with the furnace until this year when on two occasions the heat wouldn't come on before eventually starting to work again on its own. The first time was after the furnace sat there all summer and the second time was after it sat idle for about three weeks. In both instances once it got going it kept working cycle after cycle.

Our next door neighbors have the same Trane furnace, as both our houses were built at the same time by the same builder. I just found out they've been having a similar problem -- their furnace stopped working for a while and started working again. Finally it quit again, apparently for good, and their H&C guy says it's the gas valve. The original White Rodgers single stage valve is no longer made, and he quoted them $1,000 to retrofit a new replacement. They decided to opt for a whole new furnace for $2,000.

Since the symptoms seem similar I'm guessing I'll be facing the same dilemma shortly. I see that original W-R valve does pop up on Ebay every so often in the $50(used)-$125(new) range. I'm wondering if it'd be wise to cough up $100 bucks or so for an old stock or used valve to have on hand as insurance, or would that just be throwing good money after bad?

If it makes any difference I haven't really researched it enough to know whether I would be able to handle replacing the valve myself, but if that day comes and it's beyond me then I'm reasonably sure my H&C guy would install a customer-supplied part.

Any opinions appreciated!

Old 12-28-20, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,485 Votes on 1,373 Posts
Gas valves rarely go bad yet get blamed all the time for problems.

At 25 years..... it would be more prudent to look into replacing the furnace
rather than getting a replacement valve to have as a spare part.

vblg01 voted this post useful.
Old 12-28-20, 01:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 876 Votes on 806 Posts
Since both times you had trouble were after the furnace was unused for a period of time my first guess is that the furnace had to purge air out of the gas line before it could light.

Old 12-28-20, 03:02 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Since both times you had trouble were after the furnace was unused for a period of time my first guess is that the furnace had to purge air out of the gas line before it could light.
Wow, that's an interesting thought.... hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: