Furnace leaking water; DIY repair or no?

Old 12-30-20, 02:13 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Furnace leaking water; DIY repair or no?

Hello,

I just noticed a small leak next to my gas furnace. I believe it's from condensation but I'm not entirely sure. The plastic drain pipes all seem dry to the touch so I think the water is coming from this plastic box that extends out from the side of the unit; the furnace casing below it is definitely wet. Otherwise the water is coming out from the bottom somewhere.

FYI I just had a new water heater installed (to the right of the unit) so I was thinking maybe the plumbers knocked something loose when they installed it? I didn't notice this water until after the new heater was put in.

Regardless, is this something I can tackle myself (and if so how?) or do I need to call my HVAC repair company? I'm really loathe to have people in the house right now since we're in the middle of a Covid-19 surge in town. Even if it's a temporary fix that will hold for a few months it would be worth it.

TIA,

JVK

Old 12-30-20, 07:08 PM
Received 50 Upvotes on 44 Posts
You can do the initial investigation yourself.

Check all the condensate line joints, remove, flush out and refill the trap.

Open up the blower compartment and make sure there's condensation leaking from around where the blower is mounted.

The pic are too up close and I really have no idea what you're dealing with - no context. I can tell you the gas line work is very sloppy.
Do you by any chance have a carrier, payne, or day and night furnace made before 2011?

Old 12-30-20, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,420 Upvotes on 3,066 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes..... interesting gas line work. Not supported. No drip leg/sediment trap.
The model number can be found on an ID tag on the side wall near the burner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: