Furnace only works with closet door open

Old 02-24-21, 03:08 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace only works with closet door open

For the life of my I cannot figure out why I am having this issue. The furnace was working fine and then one day it started short cycling (cutting on and off prematurely (I believe correct terminology)). There are no error codes there is nothing showing anything wrong other than it is just not working right. Pulled the filter, changed the filter etc. nothing seemed to work. Tested the ignitor it shows good, fuse is fine etc. So I purely by accident left the closet door open (The door on the unit is on etc.) and now it works fine. Why would this be? What needs to be fixed (I can leave the closet door open but I would rather not).

Old 02-24-21, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Does your board have a fault code LED ?
If it does.... check it thru the sight glass before opening the blower door.

Typically you have to watch the cycle and determine when it fails.
If it's failing several minutes after firing..... it sounds like an airflow issue.

Old 02-24-21, 03:39 PM
O
There are no error codes. I watched it since it started working and it goes through a full cycle until the thermostat tells it to stop. When it stops prematurely it just stops and will not start back for a while (10ish minutes) even though it is receiving a heat on signal the whole time but will eventually start itself back.

Old 02-24-21, 04:34 PM
A
Received 131 Votes on 120 Posts
Seems like an airflow issue -- running out of oxygen and needing freer flow of air for combustion. Is there a vent to the outside, which is the best way to get combustion.

Old 02-24-21, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Going to need a model number for that furnace.
It can be found inside on the side wall near the burner.

My current diagnosis is blower motor problem.
Possibly shutting done on thermal limit.

Old 02-24-21, 06:22 PM
O
Yes there is a vent to the outside. It is a carrier model number CNRVP3617ACAAAAA (give or take a few A's )

Old 03-01-21, 09:23 AM
O
Problem solved (I hope) so there must have been a leak that was choking out the system or something of that nature. I bought a roll of the aluminum tape and just started taping every seam and corner etc. I have no issues now even with the door closed. I think you guys for your input and help. If anyone else ever has a similar issue I would say to make sure that there are no leaks anywhere. Thanks again guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: