Condenser fan kicks on but compressor doesn't

Old 06-20-01, 12:52 PM
Visiting Guest
The condenser fan kicks on but compressor doesn't. This is a central air unit. I checked the service disconnect fuses and they are fine. Any help and troubleshooting advice would be much appreciated. Im hell bent on fixing myself. I have gauges, R22, all refrigeration tools. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-01, 03:00 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Shut power off

over night.Use ohm meter.Check across compressor windings to see if you have an open winding.REMEMBER power must be OFF to do this test.How does the contactor look?Do the capacitors look swollen or leaking?Are there any terminals that look burnt?PDF

Old 06-20-01, 11:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks PDF. I checked everything mentioned, and all seemed well. Had my daughter turn the thermostat down and the compressor started. Still no cold air. I put the gauges on and it indicated I had a vacum on the low side. I added R22 and all seems ok. Checked for leaks didn't find any. I guess it just needed to be charged. Thanks Again for your help.

lb75

Old 06-21-01, 02:09 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Keep an eye

on the high side pressure.Since you ran in a vac. you may have drawn moisture and air into system.PDF

Old 06-21-01, 11:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Ok. What shold the pressures be (hi and low)? My refrigeration book says I need a charging control unit. The book doesn't give any info on charging central air units other then using a charging control unit.

THANKS

Old 06-21-01, 01:36 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
There is alot of things to

consider,but let's cut to the quick.On an average day,outside air temps 82 degrees,inside air temp 74,back pressure should be around 64psi and head pressure around 220 psi.YES,there are a lot of variables,but if your pressures are similar you should be okay.If you loose freon in a day or two you have a high side leak.If it lasts you for a month or two it will be a low side leak.PDF

Old 06-21-01, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking Thank You for all the good info!

lb75

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: