sealing duct work

Old 06-22-01, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We need to seal some duct work and what is the best way? We tryed duct tape it can off because the pipes got wet from a/c. Is there some sort of adhesive/calk we can use?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-01, 12:41 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Seal your ducts with:

Use a good grade of household caulking. You want to do this only ONE time. The surfaces MUST BE CLEAN AND DRY.

If the gaps are too big to caulk, work some heavy cloth into the caulking to bridge the gaps. We use a commercial grade of MASTIC which is like a heavy white latex paint. You may be able to buy this in gallon containers from a contractor.

Duct tape is temporary at best and should NEVER be used to seal ducts. Stange, huh.

Old 06-22-01, 01:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Lynn- Mastic is what we want to use but can not find it. Someone told my husband about this stuff but since we can not find it nor has anyone we asked ever heard of it,ie: lowes, home depot ect. we thought it did not exist. So we can get this from a contractor! Great I will start there.
Thanks

Old 06-22-01, 01:51 PM
Visiting Guest
re: mastic

Lynn is the mastic we need the same as what is used on a roof?

Old 06-23-01, 03:18 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Mastic is a generic term.

Roofing tar is asphalt based. Mastic is latex and water based and water-soluble. If you can't find any use a heavy latex paint of go with caulking. Don't use roofing materials.

Old 11-24-01, 04:24 AM
Hetch
Visiting Guest
Adding a shower to a tub

Im looking to make my old bath tub (need to refinish porcelin tub) also a shower unit. The existing tile looks well maintained and is a simple design of white tile with black radius trim pieces along the top. The tile only goes up to 4' above the bath floor so I need to add another 3' or so if I put a shower in to protect the wall.

Can I just remove the black radius cap trim along the top and continue above the existing row of white tile?

I plan on installing backer board over the existing wall (painted drywall). Im thinking there is probably some kind of board behind the existing tile because they used a radius trim cap instead of just a bullnose.

Anything I should be cautious of or check before starting?
I'd rather not remove all of the existing tile.