Heat Pump not cooling house

Old 06-28-01, 10:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have been in this house for 3 years and I have no idea how old the heat pump is, but it looks pretty old.. It is called "Comfort-aire", "U-Cool". It is somewhat noisy when it starts but that is not my main problem. It used to cool the house relatively well until this year.. I can feel "cool" air coming from the ducts but it is not really cooling down the house much. The unit is outside and linked to my main heating system in the basement.

The outside fan seems to be working fine. I can also feel somewhat "warm" air being blown outside. The big tube which comes out of the unit is very cold (although the rubber insulation around it is showing a lot of wear). I can't tell if the small tube is warm because it is a rather cold day today..

What could cause it to not cool down the house? What kind of basic maintenance is required on these units? Some people on this board have mentioned freon: how do I check if it is needed?

Please write your comments in "stupid" form because I am nowhere near knowing how to fix stuff around this house..
Thanks for any info,
Rachel

Old 07-01-01, 06:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Upvotes on 290 Posts
Dirty filters and/or coils in the unit inside (the evaporator coils) can reduce your capacity.

Poorly sealed ductwork, poor air circulation (something blocking the air return duct), doors that are closed with no means for the air to get back to the return. All have added to this problem. Lots of un-insulated glass...

When all of that is eliminated, it's time to get the refrigerant levels checked, sometimes you can be low enough to not keep up with the heat load, yet still feel ok to the touch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: