Ducane Gas Heater MELTED circuit board

Old 12-28-21, 09:50 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ducane Gas Heater MELTED circuit board

Hey all,

I have a Ducane Model #: MPGA075B3A gas furnace. For the past several weeks I've heard a clicking sound from what I think was the blower motor, but it went away after a few minutes. I was going to replace it this month, but when I woke up this morning I smelled a electrical burning smell throughout the house and the blower motor (or is it the fan) would not shut off. I unplugged the unit and shut off the gas. Then I took off the covers and found that part of my circuit board had melted (see attached).

I've found a replacement board and blower motor which I'm going to change, but I want some advice on what could have caused this to melt. I don't want to throw parts at it and then have the same thing happen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike

Old 12-28-21, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It looks the blower relay shorted. It may have been due to bad solder or cracked solder.
Once there is a bad connection... carbon is created and causes carbon tracking.... shorts.

There is a fuse on that board. I believe it should be a 4A..... ATC-4.
It looks like you have a 10A in it's place. That may have been part of the extensive damage problem.

Old 12-28-21, 12:53 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jeez I never knew that about the fuse... that's the first time I've ever paid attention to the circuit board since I bought my condo.

Is it possible it damaged the blower motor?

thanks for the info

Old 12-28-21, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I doubt the motor got damaged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: