York Furnace Flashing Red 9 times

Old 01-10-22, 12:42 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York Furnace Flashing Red 9 times

Hello,

I need help figuring out what is wrong with my York Gas Furnace. I noticed every time we used the clothes dryer our furnace stops working and it is flashing red 9 times. The back of the panel indicates that the error for 9 times flashing red light is “Hot wire or Neutral is reversed / Ground not connected
properly”.

Then, after we’re done using the clothes dryer, the furnace would turn on after 2 hrs or so. It means we have no heat for that period of time. The furnace will resume its normal operation until we use the clothes dryer again.

I think it is more of an electrical problem but I am not sure. Can someone help me figure out the issue please?

Regards,

Old 01-10-22, 07:03 AM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
If you have a voltmeter, you can check to see if the outlet that the furnace is plugged into is wired correctly. First, I assume that the outlet is a 3-prong, meaning that it has a ground terminal. If so, set your voltmeter to AC volts and pick a range that is higher than 120 (e.g. 200). Unplug the furnace and stick one of the voltmeter probes into the wider of the two slots (neutral). Stick the other probe into the circular hole in the outlet (ground). You may have to wiggle the probes to get them to make contact with the terminal, especially in the ground hole. If everything is wired properly, the voltmeter will read 0 volts. If it reads some voltage (probably 120), then the outlet is wired incorrectly. The hot & neutral wires are reversed.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-10-22, 08:20 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bob for the info.
I will try to do it as you explained and let you know the outcome.

Efforts very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: