Natural Gas Furnace Inlet/Exhaust

Old 04-01-22, 04:52 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Natural Gas Furnace Inlet/Exhaust

Ex's furnace quit, gas company said the inlet was plugged somewhere but couldn't see anything. They said something could have crawled in and blocked the inlet.

She has the type where two pipes get almost to the wall then combine into one, looks like a torpedo coming out of the house rather than two pipes.

I told her to remove that and have two pipes coming out. We did have some deep snow so maybe something could get up there?

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-01-22, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,699 Upvotes on 1,524 Posts
That type of exhaust is impossible to work on without access to the inside. It's basically a pipe within a pipe. Get a fish tape and see if you can snake it from the outside, or send a camera down it. Any repair is going to involve ceiling demo if the ceiling is finished inside.

If you have easy access to the pipes in the furnace room you could cut them open there and snake or scope the pipes. Depending what you find, you would then just have to repair the part you cut open.

Old 04-02-22, 01:01 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Thanks X. Found that vent in my Carrier book and googled I see how it works now.

Gas company doesn't do piping so they moved the intake over so the furnace would run....

Here's the piping going out...

I'm new to this but I think taking that concentric vent right out and two pipes going outside would be better?
Should mention the first thing the gas company did was order a 'pressure valve' , that didn't work.

This is an old 1910 two story house with full basement, bad idea to just take intake air from the basement?

Over my head and thanks.

Edit: I did stick my endoscope in what I found today is the exhaust.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: