Installing a new Oil Tank in basement

Old 06-07-22, 05:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a new Oil Tank in basement

I recently found out that my underground 550 gal. oil tank has to be removed. You are no longer allowed to have new underground tanks installed and while I have no evidence of a leak, my oil burner repairman keeps finding water in my fuel oil. He says that indicates a hole on top of the tank and water seeping in. I want to install a 275 gal. oil tank in my basement. I can't put the tank outside because my home is a corner lot. The backyard is the only area not visible from the street. But there is no room in the backyard as there is a deck back there with the steps leading to the second-floor apartment. My problem is I need ideas as to how to get a tank into the basement. The outside entrance is a small 24-inch door with a brick wall to the left and in front so only enough room to walk down the stairs and walk in the door on the right. most I have ever gotten in that way is a small washing machine. The inside entrance off the hall has a bigger door but not much maneuvering room. Suggestions please.

Last edited by Steve Pap; 06-07-22 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-07-22, 09:19 AM
D
Received 29 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Any large windows that could come out? Could you get 2 smaller tanks? Bury the new one at night?

Old 06-07-22, 09:50 AM
Z
Received 93 Upvotes on 85 Posts
Hi guys-

My 2 cents:

I no expert for sure, but I have two 275 gallon tanks in my basement.

(1) Im sure you can get water in the bottom of your tank without having a leaky tank. Water condensation will settle to the bottom of the tank. In fact there are additives you can add (I do) to the oil in the tank to help remove water. I think that is something that is commonly done.

Maybe the other guys will know for sure, but I dont think any evidence of water in your tank necessarily means in any way you have a leak. Even if somehow that guy sees some excessive amount of water in the tank, how would he know there is a hole in the top of the tank?

(2) I have seen outdoor tanks hidden behind a wall with ivy trellis or something like that. It doesnt look bad at all in my opinion. If you really have to get a new tank, why cant you put your tank in the front of the house behind a wall?

Old 06-07-22, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
Underground fuel oil tanks are a major hazard today. ANY leak can trigger EPA intervention and the removal and cleanup costs skyrocket. If there's any hint at a leak... remove it now. If your insurance company has a buried tank rider.... get it or at least look into it.

A typical oil tank is 27" wide.

Unfortunately you may have to turn to a custom tank size. I had seen a 22" model but I couldn't find it. I know Granby is big in oil tanks. The link below shows several models that will fit in your opening. Not cheap. The 202201 240 gallon tank is near $1100.

Granby custom oil tanks

Old 06-08-22, 05:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 61 Upvotes on 51 Posts
They do make 24" 230 gallon tanks. Also look at Roth tanks

Old 06-08-22, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
I looked at Roth. Didn't see anything near 24"...... Roth tanks - pdf

Old 06-09-22, 04:34 AM
C
Received 283 Upvotes on 233 Posts
Can you gain enough room by removing the door and jamb?

Old 06-09-22, 01:42 PM
D
Received 100 Upvotes on 94 Posts
Water in oil tanks is on-going issue. Water comes in delivery, from condensation, leaks into tanks.

Steve Pap can save expense of new tank, just remove water and use proportional amount of $20 per 1,000 gallons sludge treatment at each fill. Water detection paste on dip stick shows water and level. Before and after oil delivery, before paying driver, dip stick tank to to check for water

For 50 years DH has done it on 65 year old 560 gallon in ground tank on Long Island without issues.

Eliminating water has many benefits with inground tanks. Prolong life of tank, reduces rust leaks of oil, avoids need for delivery when snow bound. Buying larger quantities of oil is cheaper that with 275 gallon tank. Time deliveries for season lowest prices.

Year ago, when detection paste showed water, used small pump with pipe to bottom of tank to remove 25 gallons of water. Since then sludge treatment at of oil ended water issue.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...uct_id=20-1510

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by doughess; 06-09-22 at 04:36 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: