York Affinity Furnace not modulating right?

Old 12-08-22, 10:24 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question York Affinity Furnace not modulating right?

My modulating furnace just seems to turn on low speed for a while when the thermostat calls for heat, then gradually ramps up to full fan speed and burner. When it finally reaches the temp set point, it turns off pretty quick and usually overshoots the temp half a degree or so too. There seems to be no in between speed for this "modulating" furnace.

Old 12-09-22, 09:02 AM
Received 77 Upvotes on 68 Posts
I have a York modulating furnace (2008 vintage). I have a "regular" single stage thermostat, and my furnace behaves similarly to yours when the thermostat calls for heat. It starts out on low speed/heat and gradually ramps up to full speed/heat, assuming the temperature differential is several degrees or more. However, with my furnace, once the thermostat turns off, the burner shuts down and the blower slowly ramps back down until it turns off. I've never timed how long it takes to ramp down, but it's probably 5 minutes or more.

Old 12-09-22, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Pretty hard to comment without knowing the model number.

Old 12-09-22, 10:07 AM
M
The furnace model number is YP9C080C16MP13C and I'm using the expensive York Hx Touchscreen thermostat with the default settings.

I've even gone so far as to move the thermostat to different locations in the house to see how the furnace performs. Always the same. Starts low for the 5 mins, then just continuously ramps up to full speed, then shuts down. Would be nice if the initial low speed was maybe a bit higher so it could actually preheat the house a bit. Doesn't seem to be much heat at the registers initially, so the demand differential just keeps increasing until that fist stage times out and then it's like "whoa, I gotta catch up!"

Old 12-09-22, 10:37 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Did the furnace ever operate the way you would like it to with or without the expensive thermostat? Maybe it is not programmed that way. How do you measure demand differential?

Old 12-09-22, 10:52 AM
M
The furnace has been working like this since installed. I've adjusted the thermostat settings with all scenarios with no difference in operation, so the installer said to just leave in default mode.

He is not familiar enough with these furnaces and thermostats so he spoke to the York rep and he just said as long as it heats the home... Which it does, but I am certainly not happy with that answer. Should have just got a 1 or two stage furnace instead of a modulating one.

The thermostat has a demand reading display. It's got all the bells and whistles to monitor all the variables during operation.

Old 12-10-22, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I don't see a way to speed up the time it takes the furnace to give you a high heat output in the manual.

An analog stat would also start with low heat from what I see in manual.

Unfortunately, your last post may be accurate unless the user interface gives you options that are not shown in the furnace manual.

Old 12-20-22, 10:21 PM
M
Update. I changed out my fancy York thermostat (S1-THXU430W) for the basic Honeywell unit that I had on my old furnace and the modulating furnace is now working as it should... It actually modulates nicely without the ramp ups and then turn off business like a single stage furnace. Of course this old stat only communicates with the RYG and W wires and not the RS485 serial communication.

It's shame that I spent all this money on this fancy crappy thermostat and can't even use it. I like all the features, but I'll probably try and return it. Have had no feedback from York unfortunately...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: