What is this sound my furnace is making ?

Old 01-16-24, 06:38 AM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What is this sound my furnace is making ?

My furnace has been making this sound lately, and of course it's in the middle of a cold snap in the midwest but it's still warming my house sufficiently. Can someone please give me a clue to what it is? If it needs repair, what needs to be replaced and approximate cost? Can it continue running for the time being? Thanks in advance.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NsIb8EeZh...s--03aDn9E0jdQ

https://youtube.com/shorts/bc-f88eyj...mHv6waY9zUl8aw

Old 01-16-24, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,977 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
Sounds like a fan bearing to me. It's possible you could DIY this. You might see if you can dismantle it enough to expose the squirrel cage and see if you can shoot some lubricant at both ends. Might be all it needs to get by a little longer.

ngrome voted this post useful.
Old 01-16-24, 10:16 AM
N
Thanks, I wish there was a picture. I hope that shooting lubricant in the right area will help but I hope not to set myself and the whole place on fire given the pilot light is there or while the furnace is running. I supposed I should shut it off if I attempted this.

Old 01-16-24, 10:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
"I supposed I should shut it off if I..."
YES. Before working on any machinery disconnect it's power. It's especially important when something is controlled remotely like a furnace by the thermostat somewhere else. You don't it turning on unexpectedly. The furnace should have a disconnect box within sight or it is plugged into an outlet nearby that you can unplug.

Most furnaces do not have a pilot light. This is part of energy efficiency so your not burning a pilot when the furnace isn't running. There is an electric ignitor that comes on each time your furnace lights. So, with power removed to the furnace it should be dead, and no pilot light.

Old 01-16-24, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
That's an old furnace....especially with a pilot light.
Have you had it serviced recently or at all ?

Furnaces are appliances that require routine maintenance.

The noise you are hearing is the blower motor. Oil may help but would only be temporary.
Once the front bearing is worn.... the end is near,

If you want specific help in where to put lubrication... removed the access door, take a picture of the blower which will be down close to the floor and post it here...... How to insert pictures.

Old 01-16-24, 05:34 PM
N
Ok here are the pics. I removed both the top and bottom panels and the only thing I saw with some semblance of a blower motor was the top half, as the bottom is a box with electrical wires to it. Is the whole blower motor assembly replaceable? Where would the lubrication points be in the meantime? Thanks.

Blower motor?

Side view

Bottom half

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: