Weird! Odd size fitting. Anyone recognize it?

Old 02-05-24, 08:02 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weird! Odd size fitting. Anyone recognize it?

I've got a project and need to couple a propane solenoid to a control valve. I've tried to find the right fitting at Lowes, Homedepot and various local plumbing stores. No one seems to have the right size adapter so am putting it out there to you all.

I would prefer to connect the solenoid (1/2" NPT female (14 TPI)) directly to the gas heater safety valve (https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...622634314.html) but cannot figure out the right fitting.

M9x0.9??

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

This is likely the way I'll set it up, but I need to figure out a way to connect.

alternatively, this is how I could set it up.

Old 02-06-24, 04:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
Start by telling us the thread you need to mate to. You said 1/2" NPT on one end but didn't mention what you need on the other end. Keep in mind that is may not be ANSI and could be BSPT or BSPP or something else altogether.

Old 02-06-24, 04:36 AM
B
Received 320 Upvotes on 282 Posts
Assuming the output of the solenoid valve is on the left in photo of post 1, your assembly is correct for getting gas to flow from the solenoid valve to the copper tube. You don't show the internals of the stub that connects to the solenoid valve. Could be sweat or threaded. If threaded, you need to determine if it is a pipe or straight thread. Doubt you can find a 1 piece adapter that matches the different threads so may take several pieces. If you can find a end plug for each piece, an alternative could be to drill a hole in each end plug and sweat a length of copper tubing connecting the 2 parts.

Old 02-06-24, 08:33 AM
V
Here's another way of looking at it. In the picture below you can see where things are at from the factory, which is the propane regulator line connecting to a brass (POL?) adapter leading to the safety/thermocoupler.

If I can't find an adapter to replace that brass fitting and connect directly to the thermocoupler unit, then I have to find a way to insert the solenoid between the gas line regulator and the thermocoupler,

Factory layout

I either replace this with an adapter that goes to the solenoid or I have to leave and find an adapter to connect to solenoid. The female thread on this side is the same as the male thread going to the gas volume regulator on the left.

Likely this is the way I will have to set it up if I can't figure out an adapter to remove the brass fitting shown by the arrow.

Old 02-06-24, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
I have a question.... why ?
An electric solenoid will give you the ability to shut the appliance off but not start it remotely.

Old 02-07-24, 10:52 AM
V
I have a PID for that, this solenoid defaults off.

Old 02-10-24, 05:51 AM
B
Received 320 Upvotes on 282 Posts
What is the thread on regulator side of hose coupling (circled in photo 2 of post 4)? What is the thread on regulator side of solenoid valve?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: