Moving oil tank

Old 03-14-24, 06:38 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving oil tank

Moving oil tank in basement. I will have to cut(shorten) some of the oil feed tube to burner. I am concerned because I will have to cut and flare new end on tube. I do not want to put any air into feed tube as it may cause a lock later on. Any advice to avoid this?

Old 03-14-24, 07:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,324 Upvotes on 2,067 Posts
The line will drain when you cut it so your going to have to bleed the system after the move just like you would do with a new install or after the tank has gone completely dry. Your furnace/burner probably has a bleeder valve for this purpose.

Old 03-14-24, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Sometimes it's easier to replace the line.

If the line comes off the bottom of the tank.... there needs to be a shutoff valve.
If the line comes off the top.... you either need to lift the line up to drain the fuel back into the tank or remove and replace the line. If you cut a line that is coming out of the top..... below the fuel level.... the fuel will siphon out.

As Dane mentioned... it's fairly easy to purge the air out.
In the sample picture below..... there is typically a bleeder fitting that looks like a grease fitting.
You can put a cup under it or attach a short piece of hose and point into a bottle.
Loosen the fitting 1/4 - 1/2 turn.
A steady stream indicates no air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: