Goodman furnace burners won't stay lit

Old 03-27-24, 09:10 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a Goodman furnace but not sure of the model as I can't find the original paperwork that came with it. It was installed new approx. 5 years ago, I believe. My problem is, the burners won't stays lit. The glow plugs glow, the burners light but then they go out after a few seconds. I have already removed and cleaned the flame sensor, as I have had to do several times, but the issue remains. The next thought was the filter being dirty, even though it is fairly new. I replaced the filter with a brand new one and the issue remains. If I leave the filter completely out or only push it in about halfway, the furnace burners light and stay lit. So, I believe there is an air flow issue but I don't know the best way to troubleshoot this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 03-27-24, 09:17 AM
W

I am having an issue where my Goodman furnace burners won't stay lit. I am unaware of the model because I can't find the original paperwork from when this was installed new approx 5 years ago. I have already removed and cleaned the flame sensor, as I have had to do that several times in the past, but the issue remains. I have also replaced the filter with the least restrictive filter type but the issue remains. If I completely remove the filter or only push it in about 1/3-1/2 of the way, the burners light and stay lit. So, I believe I have an air flow problem but I am unsure the best way to troubleshoot this issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 03-27-24, 09:34 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 290 Upvotes on 229 Posts
[Moderators note: Double post. Merged threads because there was various info in both original posts]

Old 03-27-24, 10:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
Your model number should be on a sticker on the unit. Your sticker may look different than this one but they are all pretty similar. White with black printing.

Is your furnace in a closet or other small, enclosed space?
Where is the filter you mentioned located?
Normally the air that circulates in your home and goes through the filter is separate from the combustion air so the filter should have no affect on the burner.

Old 03-28-24, 01:46 PM
W
I will look for this sticker. There is no sticker on the outside of the furnace but maybe it is behind one of the panels.

It is in a utility room in my basement, which has plenty of space, approx. 25' long by about 8' wide.

And that is strange about the filter because if I push the filter all the way in, the burners fail to stay lit. But if I pull it out about 1/2 way or so, they stay lit.

Thanks in advance and I will report back if/when I can find a sticker.

Old 03-28-24, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,144 Upvotes on 3,722 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The ID tag is inside on the side wall near the burner behind the burner access door.
There is a control board down in the blower section that has a fault LED on it.
You will need that code. Many blower doors have a plastic sight glass where you can look in and see the LED. The fault chart is on the back of the blower door.

If the burner fails in a few seconds.... that is not an air flow problem.
That is a flame sense issue. Not necessarily a problem with the rod.
You must visually check that the rod IS completely engulfed in the flame.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: