Need technical information on gas furnace ducting

Old 04-23-24, 08:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need technical information on gas furnace ducting

Circumstances:
1. I am not knowledgeable about venting heat, other than heat rises, cold air drops
2. I have an old bldg. that used to be a church which has been converted to 3 living units
3. The upstairs unit has a gas furnace in the attic, the ceilings are 14 feet high, the living room area 18' x 22' and the bedroom is much smaller, 10x10.
4. I cannot move the furnace, this I couldn't afford.

So,my question and it may be kind of dumb/weird. Right now in order to heat the living room the furnace is running forever since heat rises and the blower is pushing the air down 14 feet plus the open space. I don't know if it would be possible or if it would even be helpful, but I was wondering if I could place a metal vent from each of the vents in the ceiling and run that vent down the wall to the floor, thereby forcing the heat down through a much smaller volume area and out, which would then rise on its own when it exited the vent.

Again, I have no idea if this would work, be something useful or not, it just seems that forcing the heat into a small vent and down to the floor and out might put the heat at the living area of the room.
Thanks for any response.

Ruth

Old 04-24-24, 01:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
Ceiling fans would be my first thought. There is not going to be a cheap and easy solution - you already know how you're fighting physics on this.

sktn77a voted this post useful.
Old 04-24-24, 06:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
Another thing you can try is to turn the air handler fan to continuously on. This will constantly stir the air so it can't stratify (hot air rise to the top) so easily.

Old 04-24-24, 07:13 AM
R
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
If you can route the supply ducts down the walls to floor level, that would be the permanent solution. But, I would re-route them from the furnace (supply trunk), and not at each of the ceiling vent openings. Where are the return vents located?

Old 04-24-24, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
I would start looking for an HVAC company that will listen to your concerns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: