Central Air Unit

Old 07-20-01, 06:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Last week Central air went out. A surge occurred during a storm and smoke a wire and the fuses. Repairman replace the wire and removed the Hard start. Said didn't really need it. Yesterday it goes out again. I checked it and another wire that goes from a another part the looks like the Hard start coil to the fan and then the compressor is smoked. I replace the the connector and it works. Today it goes out....same thing. I replace the wire and it smokes the fuses and the wire as soon as the unit goes on. There is a PoP and thats it as soon as the compressor kicks in. Could that coil like piece be bad....or (hopefully not) might the compressor be bad....the compressor starts for a couple seconds before it goes.

Any direction appreciated before I spen $900 on a compressor. Thanks, Greg

Old 07-20-01, 11:46 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
PLEASE USE CAUTION

Turn power OFF!!!!!!!WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!Gain access to compressor,remove cover on compressor and check for damaged or burnt compressor terminals.You will need an ohm meter.Radio sells them for a few bucks.CAREFULLY label and remove compressor wires from terminals.WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.There will be 3 terminals.Place 1 lead of ohm meter on a terminal,the other lead to a good ground i.e. copper pipe or green ground wire.If the meter beeps or the needle of meter jumps your compressor is grounded.Check all 3 terminals to ground.Next,check each terminal,1 to 2,1 to 3,2 to 3 etc..The meter should beep or needle should swing.If not you have an open winding.The hard start kit was installed for a reason and a new one should be installed.If you compressor is electrically bad a filter/drier for burnt outs should be installed when compressor is replaced.I would recommend replacement of the outdoor unit.Outdoor fan motor is just as old as compressor.PDF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: