Need advice on home central air replacement

Old 08-04-01, 12:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I have a 2 story home, 1200 SF down / 800 SF upstairs, with separate heating and cooling systems for each floor. Each system consists of compressed freon cooling and natural gas furnace heating using common air handlers. The downstairs air handler in is in the crawl space and the upstairs handler is in the attic. The compressor in my upstairs cooling unit has failed 3 times in last 8 years. Unit is late 1980's model and I'm thinking of replacing it with a new generation unit. How can I determine what capacity I need and amount I can expect to spend on a high-efficiency replacement for my upstairs heating and cooling system?

Old 08-05-01, 12:28 PM
Visiting Guest
It really depends on where you live in Florida I used the fromula of 400sqft per ton

Old 08-06-01, 08:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok, first get a reputable dealer to come out and give his opinion of needed capacity, as well as an estimate, this is free. FPL, or your electric company may do a heat load study for free. then get estimates from as mant dealers as possible. i recommend ducane equipment for the following reasons: 12 seer equipment has 10 yr all parts warranty. ducane manufactures trane, carrier and lennox. units are quiet and easy to work on. DO NOT USE THE 400 SQ FT PER TON MYTH!! also, if you do not find out why a compressor went bad, the new one is doomed to fail also. you may need a trap on your suction line, check into that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: