Booster blowers for heat and air ducts?

Old 08-10-01, 03:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Help!!!!! My air conditioner compressor blew after six weeks of 100 degree heat. I am now pricing new units. Now for my problem. We live in a seventy-five year old two story house. The duct work is basically the same ductwork that was originally installed. This is adequate downstairs but the air pressure from the upstairs vents is noticeably weaker. This means that the air conditioner makes it too cool downstairs and only marginally acceptable upstairs. Ten years ago we had the same problem in another house and opted to install a zoned system.

We don't intend to stay in this house for more than another two or three years and don't want to spend the money to zone it. Are there booster fans that we can install to increase air flow upstairs? Is zoning my only option? Please advise me asap. I want a cool house yesterday!

Thank you.

Old 08-11-01, 08:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello D Crane4783 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Try this. Close the downstairs registers. By doing so, it will force all the cold A/C air to exist the upstairs registers.

Since cold air settles downwards, it will cool better upstairs first and settle downstairs. At the same time the settling is happening, the warmer air downstairs will be forced into the air return register by the settling colder air, if the intake air vent is installed downstairs.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: