Compressor tripping high pressure switch

Old 08-23-01, 03:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Hi all, I've been skimming the questions but can't find an answer to mine...
I have a Friedrich V18 12 electric central a/c-heat unit in a separate closet in my condo. It has water circulating through it from the building's water supply. I started having A/C trouble about 6 months ago with room-temperature air coming from the air vents. The A/C maintenance guy from the building came by several times and ended up replacing the coil and charging the system multiple times until he replaced the compressor. (He left the green tank in the closet. Is this freon?) The unit worked well after that until 2 weeks ago when room-temp air started blowing again. I opened it up and discovered that if I flip the main power to the unit off and on again, there is a switch in the electrical box of the unit that engages for about 10-15 seconds, then blows out again with a spark and the compressor turns off. (I assume this is the high head pressure switch.) The fan works fine. If I flip the power a few times or wiggle the wires or copper pipes a little I can get the switch to stay on until the thermostat turns it off (I've been keeping it on full-force cold all the time to avoid this). I have found that when the switch engages and stays that way I feel cool breeze from somewhere inside the A/C closet. If the switch is going to blow that doesn't happen. (FYI - Heat works fine)
Unfortunately the A/C guy has left the country permanently and the condo doesn't let maintenance workers do repairs for unit owners anymore so I'm stuck - can I fix this myself or do I need to call a professional?
Thanks for any assistance!!! (Sorry message so long)

Old 08-24-01, 03:07 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Sounds like

you have a closed loop circ. system,with a water tower outside.I think the box,the spark, is coming from a relay.It could be a Calif.Heat Pump system.If the control circuit trips the "lock out relay" enegizes and to reset the power must be shut off.You will need a "TECH" to check system.But 1st secure power and check the wires you wiggled to make sure connections are good.Sounds like they are not.PDF

Old 08-25-01, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks PDF

Thanks for your quick reply. I checked all the wires I could see without completely dismantling the unit and they all appear to be connected where they are supposed to be, without short-circuits. I really think there is something wrong with the electrical though because last week the unit started blowing out heat even though the tstat was set to cool and had not been adjusted, and today the fan shut off with the compressor still on and the whole inside (except the coil) iced over. I think sometimes the fan blows the wrong way but I can't tell. I guess I'm going to have to call someone on Monday. Thanks again.

Old 08-26-01, 03:51 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
You have a

control voltage problem.You said the heat ran.This means reversing valve shifted.You will need a "TECH".PDF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: