Bad outside fan motor

Old 08-28-01, 07:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a sticky fan motor on my outside unit, I need to replace it and wanted to know a few things. Is it typically a 110 or 220 volt motor? How do I get the fan off, I loosened two sets of allen screws, do I need a puller of some sort? How do I find a replacement, it's an old unit (GE) and I don't know if I can get parts.

Old 08-28-01, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
typically 220 volts. lubricate shaft well, do not grab the shaft with channel locks or pliers, this will scar the shaft, and make it extremely difficult to remove. also never hit the end of the shaft that will cause it to mushroom, hold the shaft with a crescent wrench, taking advantage of the flat side of the shaft, spin the blade, work it off. too much trouble? replace it, the fan blade is relatively cheap

Old 08-29-01, 03:13 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
hvac4u

Great advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes,replace the blade.If the rivets show cracks it will have to be replaced.Removal of old blade can try your patience,BIG TIME.Pillbug,make a mark on condenser shroud where cond. fan blades set.This will allow you to place blade back in original position.Most GE motors on the bottom side,in the middle have the motor info stamped on them.Take motor to an electrical motor supply house for an after market motor.It will cost you less.Great advise once again from hvac4u..The blade, if it comes off hard, is not worth the aggravation.PDF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: