evaporator coil leak

Old 09-12-01, 07:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Any thoughts as to why we have to keep replacing evaporator coils on our Lennox central air? Over the past 5 years, we have had 3 different coils. We generally have to replace one every other summer as they begin leaking and can't be repaired. Luckily, they've been under warranty.

Our a/c guy says the old coils looks like they are 10 years old when he removes them - all rusted, etc. He is at a loss as to why this keeps happening, and hasn't seen it anywhere else in our area. We don't have any excess moisture or anything like that, and nothing else in the attic is being affected like this.

Thanks for any insight you can give... I live in central Texas, btw

Old 09-12-01, 09:42 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
WOW !!!!!!!!

Unless the air in your home is adding to the factor,I expect somewhere,somehow someone did'nt to a good design job.You said warranty,but what is it costing you each time????????I do a lot of refrigeration work,sandwich units.You know,you buy a sandwich and they make it up for you.Evap coils go bad because the acid from green peppers,onions,tomatos and other products permeate the coils.BUT even they last 4 or 5 years.HEY TECHS,HAVE YOU SEEN THESE PROBLEMS WITH LENNOX COILS?????IF SO RESPOND TO rcj0618 THREAD.PDF

Old 09-12-01, 09:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply

It has cost us nothing so far for the replacements (we had a parts and labor warranty) - but the 5 year warranty we got on the first replacement coil is up this year. We made it through this summer with no problems - knock wood!

Old 09-12-01, 10:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
have seen this twice, finally put a different coil, ADP on it, and no calls 3 yrs now. other time, the plate rusted through the "u" tube on the bottom left side twice in three years, no problems since

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: