heat pump won't shut off

Old 09-27-01, 11:52 AM
Visiting Guest

My Rheem/Ruud heat pump won't shut off unless I flip the breaker. The interior fan will go off, but the outside unit stay on. There is no circuit diagram so I don't know how to check if the problem id the thermostat or something in the pump itself.

Any suggestions??

Old 09-27-01, 02:16 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Test.

This can happen normally in the heat mode during a normal defrost if the thermostat happens to be satisfied before the defrost cycle is complete. (The outdoor unit should then shut off within a minute or two.)

TEST: The air handler should be on a separate power source. Turn the power off to the air handler.

If the unit continues to run it will be running without control voltage. This can happen if the compressor contactor contacts are welded together or stuck in some other manner. If so: replace the contactor.

If it stops when the air handler power is cut off, the control voltage is controlling the outdoor unit. The thermostat and the wiring are both suspects. Look for damaged stat cable first.

TEST 2: Disconnecting the yellow "Y" wire at the stat or the unit would help isolate the problem to the stat or cable. If you get this far ask for more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: