New Electric Water Heater

Old 10-01-01, 10:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

WE are thinking about replacing our gas water heater with an electric water heater. How do you hook up a new electric water heater? Is it simple or complicated?

Old 10-01-01, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you will need a 220 volt power source, cap the gas line and vent, that about covers it

Old 10-02-01, 09:06 AM
Do what HVAC4U said above. Have you thought hard on what your doing if you do change to Electric? Here are things to look into if you do change over.

*Gas, you will always have hot water when the power goes out. (If you don't have the power vent type) Electric, hot water will be limited when power is out.

*Gas, you'll have a quicker recovery on hot water if you do run out. Electric, it's much slower in recovery, unless you get a big tank.

*Gas, No parts to worry about burning out. Electric you have to replace the heating eleaments if they burn out, or get full of lime.

*Gas, are cheaper to run in the long run.

Old 10-03-01, 02:50 AM
TheZman
Visiting Guest
Hello Jay11J,
In regards to converting from Gas to Electric.

I have an electric water heater and 3 years ago we had a power black out that lasted 1 week in the middle of winter.
I found that I was still getting hot water 3-4 days after the power was out. Water can retain its heat for quite a while and most power blackout are typically only a few hours. Having a thermal jacket around the tank as well as pipe insulators really helps perserve the heat.

In the five years I have had my water heater, I have spent 0 dollars in maintenance.

Another thing to factor in is that gas (or oil) fired water heaters cost 2 to 3 times the price of an electric water heater. You need to factor this against the savings you get from using cheaper gas or oil.

Regards Zman

Old 10-03-01, 07:59 AM
Zman,

you did make a good point in a way about wraping up the waterheater, and the pipes. Guess the whole family didn't take thier shower all at once! Also, it depends on the area that you live in.. Here in Minnesota, it's far cheaper to run a gas water heater than Electric. when I used the Cost factor sheet to compare cost of running the unit a year. And True, Gas unit may cost a little bit more to buy

I had an Electric waterheater in my last home, and had to replace the elements a couple of time.. In SE MN, we are known for the limestone, so the water has a higher amount of lime in it. Even with a watersoftern. it was burrning out my elements. There is a price comparison sight some where on the web to figure out cost of running the unit in your area. I came up with $159 a year to run a gas, vs. $406 a year on Electric. Yes, you may have to pay a little bit more for a Gas Unit, but it's not like it's hundreds of dollars.

Old 10-04-01, 02:18 AM
TheZman
Visiting Guest
Hello Jay11J,

You bring up a good point. The regional cost of energy should be a key deciding factor. I live in an area where hydroelectricity is plentiful, therefore an electric water heater is my best option.

Another thing to factor in is the cost of installation.
I have no problem with installing an electric water heater myself; like hvac4u said you just hookup 220 volts and soldering the cold and hot copper pipes is an easy job. Even the periphal accessories like a cold water shut-off valve, pressure relief valve and backflow vacuum valve are cheap and easy to install.

But I would never attempt to install a gas fired heater, I would leave it to a professional and this could run into several hundred dollars.

Out of curiousity, is your water supplied from a well or by a city filtraion plant ?

Regards Zman

Old 10-04-01, 10:44 AM
Hello again Zman,

True, It is alot easier to install an Electric Heater than Gas. If your replacing a unit, say like Electic to Gas, then you have to get some one in to do it for you if you don't have the skills to do it. If your changing out a gas to a gas. shouldn't be a problem.

The water where I am from is drawn out of the ground up in the hills and stored in a big storage tank in the Hills, then piped into the City's Water Treatment plant. I know it's not filtrated to my knowlage, I just know it taste nice and fresh! Not like the big city water where it is bleached!

Talk soon!
Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: