Re routing ductwork

Old 10-02-01, 01:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Our ductwork is layed out down the middle of the house. I want to run all the ducts to the outside perimitar.

We have hardwood floors. What is the best way to cut the new openings in this type of floor?

We have ripped our finished basement out because of water damage, that we have taken care of and no longer have a problem with that.

I also would like to know what the best way to run ductwork in the basement would be? The old also was down the centre of the house.

Thanks for your time.

Old 10-02-01, 08:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The ductwork running down the middle of your basement is right.. It really should be done that way.. Running it to the outside perimitar of the house is not going to give you an even air flow in all the rooms. If you do that, your still going to have to have a duct runing down the middle to get to the outer perimitar. Properly sized Ductwork should be reducing in size as it gets to the end to keep the pressure up.. IF it's the same size from start to end, then you will be loseing pressure.

Cutting a new hole in the floor for another vent can be down with a Jig Saw. Just know where you are on both sides!!
Just mark it about 6" away from the wall to clear from a curtian on the window. Cut the opening to the size of your boot that your using.

Old 10-02-01, 10:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply.

I didn't know that about basement registers. What about the cold air return for the basement? If the heat registers are down the middle where would the cold air return go?

Thanks for your time.

Old 10-04-01, 08:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Maby your original question was misunderstood. When you say that your ductwork runs down the middle of the house did you mean that is where your heat runs are at, where the basement duct is at or both? If you are trying to run your heat runs to the outside walls instead of the interior walls that is the right thing to do. That is where your heat loss and gain is. Then you may be able to use the old interior heat runs for your return airs??

Old 10-04-01, 11:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Suzie,

Tinner maybe is right, there may be a misunderstanding in your first question.... I thought you wanted to get rid of the ductwork in the middle of the house, and put it around the outside area of the basement to make more headroom in the middle the basement.

If you ment you want to put registers to the middle of the new room, YES you can do that. You'll need to run 5" round pipe from the ductwork to the middle of the area that you want it to go into in the new room in your basement. then just pull off the old regisiters, and screw on sheet of sheetmetal to cover the hole.

For the return, there is a few things that can be done. If you are not planning on finshing off the basement, and just make it one big open area, you can just cut a return in on the side of the return ductwork. (****Only if the Furnace is NOT in a closet/small room****)

If the basement is going to be finshed off with walls, you can run a return in the wall cavity. and pan out the floor joist from the wall to the return ductwork.

Old 10-05-01, 11:54 AM
Visiting Guest
We live in an older house, built in about the mid 40's. They never upgraded the registers, all the heat vents, which are in the walls are run down the centre of the house. The furnace has been upgraded it is about 10 years old but they never bothered rerouted the ducts or registers.

So, I am running the new ductwork and vents to the outer perimeter of the house where they should be.

The basement will be finished eventually after I get the ductwork done, upgrade the rest of the wiring and I have some plumbing to do. There are still 2 runs of old galvanized pipe to do.

I hope this explains my project better.

So if this is the case, the heating for the basement? I will run the ducts and vents to the outer perimeter also? Cold air return in the middle, near the floor, would this be correct?

Thanks for you time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: