No heat in bedroom radiator

Old 10-16-01, 01:39 PM
Visiting Guest
please help! i own a property, which has a hot water heating system. i recently developed a problem in the radiator in one of the bedrooms(it also is one of the furthest points from the boiler). the radiator is not producing any heat. the valve has been bled several times, but to no avail.Could there be a blockage in the pipes, and if this is the most likely cause, what steps can i take to fix the problem. I could really use any answers quickly, as winter is fast approaching, and we have already had to turn on the heat.Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 10-19-01, 04:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Had the same problem, I was not getting any water or air out of the bleed valve. Clean or replace bleed vave...

Old 10-23-01, 08:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Bedroom radiators ccccold

I have the same problem in two bedrooms. I've bled them but neither had any air in. Both radiators are stone cold although the rest of the radiators in the house are hot. The inlet pipe to the first bedroom radiator is hot but the heat stops there. The inlet on the second bedroom radiator is cold. I read that older systems can become sludged up but this heating system is only 5 years old. Could it be a faulty valve on the first bedroom radiator? What about the other one?

Gary

Old 10-25-01, 11:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Flush the system with an acid cleaner made for boilers. FALLOW ALL DIRECTIONS EXACTLY. If that does not help, there is a problem in the piping. Was it an older system replaced with a system and pump? The last turn down does not turn down. cut it out and make it look like the rest of the turn-downs. Water is cold-locked. Put a hose on the opened bleed valve and run the water outside. bleed for several hours. All the books say this will not work, but it has been sucseefull for me several times.

Old 10-27-01, 01:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi KKim

Now you mention it the radiators could be from the previous heating system which of all things was a community system that pumped hot water round the whole housing estate constantly for a fixed price per house. This system failed some 6 years ago and was replaced with gas fired systems in each house. i don't know how much was replaced as I only purchased the property in June.

I have noticed some dark sedement in the couple of gallons of water I've bled out so far. But tomorrow I'm gonna try the hose like you suggested

Thanks

Old 10-28-01, 02:52 AM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
Was the system drained & refilled recently? You may have an air lock at one of the unions. Put a rag under the union & lossen it till you ge water comming out - retighten union & check for heat. I learned this from my dad years ago. Have done this afew times over the years to get a radiator working. Good luck

[Edited by rclhvac on 10-28-01 at 01:32]

Old 10-30-01, 03:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Yipee It's fixed!

Okay after pulling about 15 gallons of water through my radiator I gave up and called the plummer.
It took him 3 minutes from entering the premises to leaving.

How he did it....
He put the central heating on. Then he unscrewed the control knob that sits on the radiator valve, then tapped the protuding spindle that the control knob locates on, a few times replaced the knob retightened the clamping screw and then did the same with the other radiator. TWO minutes work for GOD sake!!!

Gary

Old 10-30-01, 06:05 AM
Visiting Guest
That might be a temporary fix. There had to be crap in the valve to prevent flow. Where is that crap now? Every month or so, drain water out of the lower **** on your boiler until the water comes out clear. Maybe do that a couple of times each time. That might flush some of the crap out of the system. A good clean and flush is in order. Make sure there is plenty of water in your boiler if there is no auto fill valve.

Old 11-03-01, 02:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank's for the advice. I'll try draining the boiler a bit and see if any crap comes out!
As for flushing it with a cleaner. The boiler unit is a Baxi Bermuda 552 and says it is not suitable for use with a sealed system but how do I know if I have a fully pumped system or a gravity domestic hot water with pumped central heating system? The old electric emmersion watertank in the property is used to store water from the new system, but this is the only tank I can locate. So is my hot water and the central heating water one and the same?

Gary

Old 11-05-01, 08:29 AM
metx
Visiting Guest
i do heating 1 is it a closed loop you should not take out water because the minerals in the water can and will damage the system like a water heater that is why in water heater they have rods in then to eat the rod first also are you useing the right bleeders water not steam and how many stores is you home rule of thumb 8psi per floor you might need to up the presure and last is your pump working

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: