Fan motor hot

Old 10-17-01, 08:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Is it normal for fan motor to be to hot to touch for any length of time? And also is the fan limit switch (dial) and the high temp shutoff switch one and the same? I have older furnace.

Thanks

Old 10-17-01, 08:23 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Yes

fan cycle switch also incorporates the high limit,which will shut off the fuel to the furnace.The motor after running thru a cycle should feel warm to the touch but not hot.Since you mentioned it was an older unit...the motor probably has sleeve bearings.TURN POWER off to furnace.Check motor for 2 little oil plugs on each end/or somewhere on the motor it will state "apply 10 drops of oil yearly".If this is the case do as is instructed.PDF

Old 10-18-01, 02:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks PDF, Yes there are oil plugs and I have been putting oil on fairly regular basis. However do you know if the motor can slow down after time (23 years) just from old age, therefore not pushing the hot air out of the firebox fast enough cuasing the high limit to trigger? Also I see what looks like an adjustment for the gas flow I was thinking of turning the gas down temporerely to reduce the temp in the firebox to see if the furnace would keep running. By the way my problem is the furnace cuts out before it reaches tstat temp.
p.s. i don't think theirs any air flow blockage and filters clean.

Old 10-18-01, 09:39 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
indoorman

PLEASE CHECK BLADES.There are blades on the squirrel cage blower.Check and clean them.After 23 years there may be enough build to cause the problem.If the blades are CLEAN,I would say offhand a new motor is in order.CHECK the inexpensive things first.PDF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: