I think I cracked the boiler...

Old 10-18-01, 02:54 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a steam heat gas boiler, heating up old radiators in my house. I try to remember to empty out some water at the boiler occasionally, to get sediment out. I had been noticing that the automatic water-level feeder didn't seem to kick in after I bled it some, so I was manually adding water.

Well, I didn't call a service person in, and tonight, I noticed a buring smell, and realized that there was no water left in the boiler, but the fire was going. Not thinking, I manually added water to the system, and pop-- it started making noises, and soon water was dripping from the bottom of the boiler.

I'm guessing that what I did was crack the boiler. From what I can tell, it is 10 years old. My question is, is there a way to repair things like this, or do I have to replace the entire boiler?

If I do have to replace the boiler, any suggestions on brands/types? I'll have to do this quick. Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-19-01, 09:11 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
First

Turn power off(if not already).Remove all panels.You may have to cut some away with sheet metal snips because of the piping.CHECK and see where it is leaking.IT MAY be from a flange or gasket towards the top and dripping down.With boiler off,turn water on and look around.PDF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: