Need Advice

Old 10-24-01, 04:15 AM
Larryz
Visiting Guest
I had Byrant 2-stage(up draft)furnace installed last November, and now I am in the process of adding on to my home. We are adding a Family room, and the contract calls for a new down-draft furnace so that the crawl space can be utilized, as well as a small down draft furnace up stairs (2-story) to accomodate the rooms up there.

Now to my dilemma, when we selected our fireplace for the Family room (260 sq. ft.), we decided on the Heat-n-glo 6000TRXi, which is furnace rated, and will have the thermostat put on the wall. I am now wondering if it will be necessary to even touch the existing mechanicals, and if it would be better to leave the system alone, or get the two new furnaces and possibly save a little by only running one furnace at a time. I live in Northern California where the temps never get below 40, except on a rare occassion.

What are others' opinions? I have not discussed the details of the mechanicals with my contractor yet as they are still quite busy framing.

Thanks. Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-01, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Larryz:
A consideration might be that if the furnaces will have ductwork, will this be used for air-conditioning at any point.
Anyone I know that has tried to save money by eliminating ductwork has been sorry.
In my part of northern Canada there are many homes that were built with electric baseboard heat, even subusidized by the hydro utility and government to reduce dependance on oil.
These people now have no choice but to cut up their finished basements to install central heating and aircondioning if they want it.

Old 10-25-01, 03:40 AM
Larryz
Visiting Guest
Ductwork ...

GregH, Thanks for the info. In my situation, with the current updraft furnace, I have a total of 4 registers in the whole house. The house is 1400 square feet before the remodel, and the bedrooms currently have NO heating ducts run (2 upstairs, 2 down). There is one duct near the ceiling in the L/R, one in the ceiling in the Dining Room, and one in the downstairs hall, and one in the upstairs hall. The proposed will run ducting to floor registers in all rooms dowstairs, and ceiling registers in the roms upstairs. I have considered adding A/C at some point, so I take it from your response that going with the new plan will serve me better in the long run, correct?

Thanks, Larry

Old 10-25-01, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Larry:
That is correct. The cost of installing ductwork on a new installation is insignficant, compared to putting it in later.
Also, you might ask your contractor if the ductwork will be specfically sized to handle airconditioning. The air flow requirements for cooling are greater than for heating, plus if your airconditioned air is travelling from a basement to a second floor, the increased density of the air also increases the demand on your fan and ductwork.